Installation disc damaged, permissible to download?

Hi,

My Panther installation disc has become damaged, can i download Panther from the internet.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    As far as I know legally you can't. But if you contact apple they might be able to give you a discount on tiger. I don't think they sell panther anymore. Or there's always ebay.

But to answer your question. You can't from apple. But there are always other ways of obtaining it which cannot be discussed here. As long as you keep your broken panther cd you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
    As far as I know legally you can't. But if you contact apple they might be able to give you a discount on tiger. I don't think they sell panther anymore. Or there's always ebay.

But to answer your question. You can't from apple. But there are always other ways of obtaining it which cannot be discussed here. As long as you keep your broken panther cd you'll be fine.
    Thanks for your reply.

What i want is a legal Panther installation.
    OK, if someone buys Tiger for example, what he actually gets is a license which allows the person to install Tiger on just one mac and not more. So this person actually pays for the license (the right to install Tiger on one mac), instead for the Tiger DVD. The point here is: Even though the medium (DVD) is damaged, i still have the license for Panther because i paid money for that. If someone has a license, he has the right installing Panther, no matter were the installation is obtained from, BUT he must limit the installation only on one mac.

Do i got a point here???

Thanks

Specs:
    C2D MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorder View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

OK, if someone buys Tiger for example, what he actually gets is a license which allows the person to install Tiger on just one mac and not more. So this person actually pays for the license (the right to install Tiger on one mac), instead for the Tiger DVD. The point here is: Even though the medium (DVD) is damaged, i still have the license for Panther because i paid money for that. If someone has a license, he has the right installing Panther, no matter were the installation is obtained from, BUT he must limit the installation only on one mac.

Do i got a point here???

Thanks
    Yes, I believe you are right. As with most programs, you pay for the CD-Key more than anything else. If you have a valid CD-Key, then nobody would know the difference where you got the installation.
    Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Thanks for your reply.

Do i got a point here???

Thanks
    I agree with your line of thinking - just as when I buy music, I'm not paying for the medium, I'm paying for the privilege of listening to the song.

Of course, legally speaking, it's still shaky ground. Copyright laws are constantly being disputed. If you want to make sure that everything is totally copasetic, I would give Apple tech support a call and ask about a replacement CD.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

MacHeadCase
    Thanks for your reply.

Do i got a point here???

Thanks
    Well the question should be how did the disk get damaged? If it has never worked then Apple should have replaced it long ago. If the user damaged it, then Apple shouldn't be responsible.

Maybe try eBay to see if you can get a copy cheap.

Thread Information