New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Constant Chrashes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eyeline

eyeline is on a distinguished road

Just wondering if anyones Mac keeps chrashing requesting that you restart your computer, been told it has something to do with Kernels,
Any ideas?

Thanks eyeline
QUOTE Thanks
danielb

Are there any error messages?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That is a Kernel Panic.

Which Mac do you have? Model? What version of OSX is on it? How long you owned it? When did the Kernel Panic's start?
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Yes, please give us at least some information so we can try and help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
eyeline

Thanks.
Running a 2.0GHz, 2 x 2GHzDual-Core Intel Mac Pro with 1 GB 667 MHz DDR FB-DIMM ( Apple Memory ).Radeon X1900 Graphics card on a 23inch Apple Display. Mac OS X 10.4.10 (8R2218).Darwin 8.10.1
Ive had the machine for about 24 months. Its been giving me trouble for 2 months. I play Battlefield 1942 a lot. Its been mentioned to me about a Kernel issue but not sure how to attack it. Ive run the latest Tech Tools4.5.2 and I'm waiting for my copy of Cocktail to give that a whirl.Oh. The screen freezes and a grey screen fills the screen from top to bottom and a message "You have to restart your computer do this by hold the..."
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
eyeline
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

A lot of time Kernel Panic's are hardware messing up and even more times RAM. Do you have any other FB-Dimm's you can sub and see if the KP's go away? Even though it's stock ram, it's been 24 months, who knows. My iMac iSight G5 worked great for 8-9 months then started getting KP's, Lockups and Data corruption and it was a stick of Kingston that went bad after 8 months. It was fine till that time and always passed the Apple Hardware test.

You might want to run that test. Put in the DVD that came with your Mac Pro and hold down D I believe after the chime and run the Hardware test. Run the Full test and see if it finds any bad RAM or any other bad hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
eyeline

That would be great!
The memory is 2 x 512 MB DDR2 FB-DIMM
667MHz
eyeline
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

It was the D. I have never had to run it on my Intel Mac. My close friend has a Mac Pro. Had it 1 year now and not a problem with KP's. Let me know what the Hardware Test shows.
QUOTE Thanks
eyeline

I'll Let you Know

eyeline
QUOTE Thanks
eyeline

Tried 3 times wouldnt let me load of the disc
?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeline View Post
Tried 3 times wouldnt let me load of the disc
?
Did you hold down the D key right at the startup chime? Also do try the Option key after the chime, but on the Intels I tried it was the D key.

I have to go to sleep but will be back tomorrow sometime.
QUOTE Thanks
eyeline

Keeped trying today and succeded, Ran the Hardware test of the startup disc and the test said " no trouble found". But computer still crashes.
eyeline ?
QUOTE Thanks
eyeline

Oh well, thanks for trying
eyeline
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

When did the kernel panics start? Usually kernel panics are due to RAM going bad. Is the RAM all factory installed or did you add any yourself?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
When did the kernel panics start? Usually kernel panics are due to RAM going bad. Is the RAM all factory installed or did you add any yourself?
To add to that, even though the Apple Hardware Test showed no issues, I have seen some flaky RAM sneak by it and still be the problem. That is why I had asked earlier if you had any other RAM you could try in the machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Genie effect stalls | Apple Mail lost folders! »