louisa
    How secure is the Mac...really?
    Today, I was on another forum and I signed out of it. My friend, who runs the site, noted that I was stil online as a guest and that he could "ping, echo, and tracert" and also get a direct conncetion. He said that a hacker could get into my computer and wreck things.

So, what's going on? Is the Mac as secure as it's advertised? :confused:

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    For someone to break in a system, they would need to know something about your system. Secondly, you as a user of an Apple product would have to make some changes in your system such that you would leave certain doors open. Most of these doors are closed by default.

A operating system is only as secure as you make it. The most secure system is the one that is still in the shipping box.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    If you are behind a firewall you shoud be in good shape.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    Cool
    Another little note: On my job I received about 10 to 15 security alerts a day on the average. The majority of the alerts are either for M$ or some favor of linux.

MoltenLava
    Of course anyone can ping/echo/traceroute to your machine. You are on internet where anyone can connnect to everyone. ping/echo/traceroute itself is not harmful. As long as your system has good security policy, you are in a good shape.

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa
    Today, I was on another forum and I signed out of it. My friend, who runs the site, noted that I was stil online as a guest and that he
    Simple trick, seeing your IP and waiting until you log off, then posting that crap. It's called a Troll

Thread Information