New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - how to format entire harddrive or is it possible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

verro91

verro91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

How can I format my entire harddrive and is it possible? if it's not possible how can I format all but mac OS X?
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Sure, start from the System Install disk (hold down the option key at startup). Select your language, select Utilities from the menu bar, select Disk Utility, Erase. This will completely reformat your drive, erasing all of your data... Why do you want to do this? Is there some problem that you are trying to fix?
QUOTE Thanks
verro91

verro91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i've installed windows and linux and now i dont need them. And I linux isn't mac version and I dont have drivers to it and it doesn't work so good... and I cant start windows.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by verro91 View Post
i've installed windows and linux and now i dont need them. And I linux isn't mac version and I dont have drivers to it and it doesn't work so good... and I cant start windows.
Well then, sounds like a good time to start over! Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
auratika

auratika is on a distinguished road

is there a way he can just format the windows/linux partition and give it back to OSX?
QUOTE Thanks
tripz1196

tripz1196 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15'' MBP Santa Rosa, 2.2 , 8600M GT, 120GB 5400RPM, DL DVD+/-RW SuperDrive

I had a similar experience with resizing the HD with XP on it and didn't turn out well. XP booted but BSOD right after loading. I had to reformat the ENTIRE HD and start from scratch. Why does he need linux for? Can't he do the same things on OS X?

You can also try loading the Recovery Disc that came with his notebook, load setup, and try using Disk Utility to format and merge the partitions but I highly doubt it will work.

MacBook Pro 15'' Santa Rosa
The BEST computer I ever owned PERIOD
QUOTE Thanks
auratika

auratika is on a distinguished road

image the first osx partition, wipe hd, merge partitions, reload image.
QUOTE Thanks
caralex777

caralex777 is on a distinguished road

I got a macbook and I like to erase everythin..
as if it was completly new...
How can I do dat
I want to give my laptop to my cousin but, as if it was new!
QUOTE Thanks
Armo52

Armo52 is on a distinguished road

i need to format my macbook pro, i know how to but i am not sure what to do after the format is done or what will happen after it is done. can someone tell me what will happen and what you need to do after format is done. i heard you need to put the osx application disk....
QUOTE Thanks
Sjeff

Sjeff is on a distinguished road

Yo,

I also want to erase my mac, i screwed up my java and can't repair it with an update. But when i didn't get the OSX CD with it when i bought it almost a year ago. Is there another way to erase my mac?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

No you need the OS X DVD to format and then do a clean install period.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Migration Assistant | Recovery HD and Bootcamp issues »