New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to: Mount an external usb hard drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stamko

stamko is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
just switched to the new Imac. This machine is amazing - I'm never going back to windows!
However, I have an external hard drive which I m trying to mount on the new mac using a usb enclosure. I connect the drive but I can't "see" it anywhere (desktop or disk utility) any ideas?
Complete newby - so please help me!
OS X 10.4.10
QUOTE Thanks
thebrza

thebrza is on a distinguished road

Does it need external power? Maybe it's not formatted (or it's formatted to something unusual that the OS can't read) and so there's no volume to mount.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrza View Post
Does it need external power? Maybe it's not formatted (or it's formatted to something unusual that the OS can't read) and so there's no volume to mount.
A different file system wouldn't account for the drive not mounting.

Anyway, like thebrza mentioned, is there a power cable that you forgot to insert? Perhaps try another cable (it sounds weird, but it actually happened to me yesterday; I couldn't get my external drive to work when I never had any problems before, but I decided to swap the cable and bam, it magically starts to work)

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

I was just looking at buying an external hard drive... it seems that they're plug-in-and-play for Windows and Linux but Macs (often) need drivers... so that might be the problem.

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leukeh View Post
I was just looking at buying an external hard drive... it seems that they're plug-in-and-play for Windows and Linux but Macs (often) need drivers... so that might be the problem.
Can you show me a URL where it states that OSX needs USB drivers for external drives? I have never seen that in the years I have been using Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
stamko

stamko is on a distinguished road

Do you mean a power or data cable?

The same disk works with xp but not mac. It is powered up of course.

Any ideas? Anything else i could do? Maybe connect it with my pc and then create a network between my pac and my pc and then get them through xp....
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

on Mac OS X you don't need drivers either
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Does it show up in disk utility?

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app
QUOTE Thanks
cheekychimp

cheekychimp is on a distinguished road

If I recall correctly a different file system CAN affect a Macs ability to read or detect disks if previously formatted and/or partitioned on a windows PC. If the USB disk works on an XP computer check to see if it is a Fat 16, Fat 32 or NTFS system. Whatever it is currently partitioned as (and assuming it is blank or you have the data on it backed up) reformat it to another file system and try that in the Mac. Once it is visible use disk utility to format it for the Mac if necessary.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Master Password+Dumb Roommate | Auto Logoff »