New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Finder keeps refreshing/restarting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

officepc

officepc is on a distinguished road

I just upgraded a mac mini (powerpc) from 10.3.9 to 10.4.10.

Everything seemed to go fine, but now the finder keeps restarting, well, more like refreshing every few minutes.

Any windows showing disks or folders quit and the finder refreshes and reloads itself. Though any apps running don't quit and stay open just fine. Just the finder in the background keeps doing it. Very annoying.

In addition all apps have been renamed when I upgraded to ADDAPPNAME.app. Does 10.4 add the .app to all applications or something. I don't remember seeing this on any other mac.
QUOTE Thanks
officepc

Well, I thought it wasn't affecting much, but now that I start using apps and the finder refreshes in the background every few minutes it switches me from the app I am using back to the finder causing me to go back to the app I was using to keep working.

So far I am thinking I should have stayed with 10.3.9 on this Mac Mini.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

what does "ADDAPPNAME.app" even do? if it seems to be causing your issues, get rid of it.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I'm with eric: never heard of that application and a google doesn't bring anything up other than your post in here. And the name is all caps? Looks like Windozey stuff to me.

Perhaps you did an Archive and Install to upgrade the OS and you are trying to use an old program that isn't Tiger compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
officepc

No, I meant that OSX 10.4 added ".app" to every application in my system. I am not sure why it did, but it did and still showing. They all work correctly, but for some reason if .app was a hidden extension before I upgraded it's now a visible one.

As far as the refresh goes I found the answer in another forum (after a LOT of searching). Apparently the refresh was because the finder was crashing due to a outdated startup item. So I removed the ones I didn't need, and made sure the ones I did need were compatible with 10.4.10, and now it's completely stable.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

is the .APP extension still showing?

Click on Finder and up in the toolbar click Finder then Preferences. Click on the Advanced TAB and see if there is a Check mark by Show All File Extensions. If so uncheck it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (37.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (19.6 KB, 5 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Ohhhh. LOL

Well that's just because you have set up your system to show the extensions. That certainly is not a problem but if you'd rather have them off, trav has the solution (he usually does 'cuz he's good )!
QUOTE Thanks
M4yhemz

M4yhemz is on a distinguished road

i got the same problem on my mbp where the desktop keeps refreshing when i click on an icon... kinda frustrating cuz it will close the menu i'm on... does anyone have any ideas about what would be doing this?? thanks!!!
QUOTE Thanks
jdella681@gmail

jdella681@gmail is on a distinguished road

i noticed the same thing... but only when i have my external hdd's on.. anything correlated with that?
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

try repairing the disk permissions, maybe?
QUOTE Thanks
officepc

That fixed it, and I was sure it was pretty much that, but just didn't change them yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Though keep in mind I didn't set it that way in the first place. When I upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.4.6 (and then to 10.4.10) it did it for me. How nice of apple to be looking out for me and my extensions. Though I should have gotten a weave instead.
QUOTE Thanks
M4yhemz

M4yhemz is on a distinguished road

i've repaired to permissions and cleared the ram and it still does it without any external drives present.... don't know why it does it... never did it before i wiped out my hd and reinstalled osx... very strange
QUOTE Thanks
jdella681@gmail

jdella681@gmail is on a distinguished road

actually i was searching the forum.. but i found that a certain version of stuffit is causing the "refreshing" problem i was having. So i found a patch and the issue is no longer there! see if that may be your problem too.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installation disc damaged, permissible to download? | OSX file transfer to Ubuntu VMWARE? »