New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Security: Is Mac OS X 10.4 that secure?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MBNick

MBNick is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook Black

Hi,

I recently switched over from a mixture of Linux & Windows, I am used to having security issues (Windows) and safe freedom with Linux.

Now I am a Mac user, I would like to know what viruses,spyware,malware,trojans,keyloggers etc etc are out there.

So what's out there? I have turned on FileVault and the Firewall.

Nick.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

I don't think there's any virus or spyware out there. If there was, it would be known. There are some viruses developed as Proof-of-concept, that is, demoed in the lab. All they can do is self replicate.

Filevault won't help you in this case (And always keep a backup of your irreplaceable stuff), cause sometimes Filevault tends to act up). Do keep your firewall on though.
QUOTE Thanks
MBNick

I have found a lot of Anti-Virus scanners, and one spyware scanner.

What are these for if there are no spyware/viruses for the Mac.

Is there keyloggers and trojans for the Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

They're pretty much useless for protecting your Mac. They're more useful for removing viruses from email or other files to prevent you from passing on a virus to a Windows user. So you won't get infected, but the scanner is there to keep you from spreading the virus.

I personally find it to be a waste of resources. It's not my responsibility to keep other peoples' machines from getting infected. If they don't have anti-virus programs, then it's their problem when they get the virus.

Oh, and anti-virus companies are also hoping for Windows switchers to pay for anti-virus as a sort of habit.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
They're pretty much useless for protecting your Mac. They're more useful for removing viruses from email or other files to prevent you from passing on a virus to a Windows user. So you won't get infected, but the scanner is there to keep you from spreading the virus.

I personally find it to be a waste of resources. It's not my responsibility to keep other peoples' machines from getting infected. If they don't have anti-virus programs, then it's their problem when they get the virus.

Oh, and anti-virus companies are also hoping for Windows switchers to pay for anti-virus as a sort of habit.
I agree totally. Let the Windows users keep their own machines protected. I have downloaded files on my Mac for my Windows machines and network copied them over to the Windows systems and AntiVir went off. Some were drivers which shocked me that they had Virus's but AntiVir caught and killed them all. Keep your Windows machines in shape and nothing a Mac user sends will hurt you.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
I have found a lot of Anti-Virus scanners, and one spyware scanner.

What are these for if there are no spyware/viruses for the Mac.
Purely to make money for the software publisher!

There are no viruses or spyware for Macs in the wild.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Read this: The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
Great link, didn't know we had that

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
MBNick

Will this stay the same forever? Why isn't UNIX secure???
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Well you can't really say. There ARE security holes in OS X which CAN be exploited but they appear to be very difficult ones to circumvent. So far viruses have only been able to "self-replicate" and nothing else. Let's pray and hope that nothing comes this way...cause macs are getting very popular these days...
QUOTE Thanks
MBNick

I think I may need to write to Steve Jobs, he needs to make Leopard completely secure. No holes whatsoever, unless this happens Mac OS can never be a replacement for security issues.

What are the holes? And why are they not filled?
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBNick View Post
I think I may need to write to Steve Jobs, he needs to make Leopard completely secure. No holes whatsoever, unless this happens Mac OS can never be a replacement for security issues.
I think they're probably working on security already, you don't need to remind them. And if you're waiting for a totally secure OS, then you're in for a looong wait.

I suspect that any security holes in OSX are such that even if you can exploit them, the security of the rest of it means you can't really do much.

Quote:
What are the holes? And why are they not filled?
Ask Bill Gates the same question.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
MBNick

I just hope no spyware comes out.

I left Windows for that reason!
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

If a piece of spyware did manage to circumnavigate Safari or Firefox, it would be obvious and easily patched because it should only be a lone program.
QUOTE Thanks
daveinpoway

daveinpoway is on a distinguished road

One of the big advantages of OS X over Windows is that there is no registry for malware to hide in. So, even if a Mac should get infected (by some future malware), it will likely be much easier and faster to clean it out than in the case of a Windows PC.

Keep in mind that if you are running Windows on your Mac (through Virtual PC, Parallels, Boot Camp or some other method), your Windows installation is every bit as vulnerable to malware as a stand-alone Windows PC. So, it is essential to protect that Windows installation with all of the anti-malware techniques (firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.) you would use on a PC.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS 10.4 Tiger and OS 9.2.2 | Create a .bat type file for OS X »