New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Reformatting question + saving adobe

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bob_White

Bob_White is on a distinguished road

Hi, I recently came into possession of a used iMac and I would like to reformat it to factory settings. With it being second hand it didn't come with any discs or anything beyond the keyboard and mouse, however it does have the full Adobe CS2 Creative Suite package along with some other useful photo manip programs. I bought it from the guy because I'm a 3d/2d animation major and he said the software was already on it. If I reformat the system obviously it'll be wiped so my question is: is there any way I can reformat it but somehow copy the programs to a safe space without having the discs? I'm not too mac savy so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Why do you need to reformat it?
Copying the apps would violate the EULA, so that isn't an option.
Its bad enough that you don't have the discs for them, you really got hosed by the guy who sold it to you, IMO.
And anyway, if it didn't come with discs, then how would you plan on reformatting it in the first place?

I'm not trying to rub this in or anything, but this is just another example of why nobody should buy a second-hand computer unless it comes with all of the necessary install media for OS and ALL of the included software.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Bob_White

I bought a retail copy of os x 10.4 tiger from the apple store today. I'm reformatting it because for one, all of his orginal "short" name I think it's called, is a string of expletives as one word, also his admin name is and expletive, and while I've changed them all, the home folder is still the name the copy of the os was registered to. So I'd like to just break ties with it all completely.
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_White

bump
bump
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

CS2 spews files all over the hard drive so it's difficult to backup. Upgrading the OS and choosing 'archive and install' still affected CS2 in my experience and it required a reinstall.

I'm afraid you might have to get hold of your own copy of CS2.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Dre

Mac Dre is on a distinguished road

here is what i did when i got my macbook pro used. go to users menu, create a new account user (you) delete all pervious accounts. i dont remember correctly but you might need their passwords.

when i did this it reseted everything back to factory settings keeping all previously installed apps. all my apps required for me to go through the beginning intro setup (the setup procedure when you use/open an app for the first time).

hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Formatting free space | Windows Mobile and Mac »