New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.2 - OS X 10.4 will not install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mtb2k

mtb2k is on a distinguished road

My gf has an os x 10.4.6 install dvd for her powerbook g4(10.2.8). we insert the dvd, the install icon comes up and we try to install. tells us to restart the computer to continue installation. computer restarts, and nothing happens, except for this quiksync thing that keeps popping up and asking if we want to enable it. other than that, nothing happens and there is not a continuation of the installation at all.

i try to execute the osinstall.mpkg on the disc, and i get this.

'authorization: this software cannot be installed on this computer'

i've tried restarting and holding c down. just goes into the os again. i know nothing about macs and she doesn't know anything about her own mac, and i'm not sure what else to try or what the problem could be.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

sounds like the wrong version for the Mac you are trying to install to.....

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Where did you get the 10.4.6 DVD? What does it look like and say on the label? If this is a DVD for a specific model Mac it will not install. It sounds like it's a DVD for an Intel Mac and can not be installed nor booted on a G4 as a G4 is a Power PC CPU and does not run Intel Code.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Where did you get the 10.4.6 DVD? What does it look like and say on the label? If this is a DVD for a specific model Mac it will not install. It sounds like it's a DVD for an Intel Mac and can not be installed nor booted on a G4 as a G4 is a Power PC CPU and does not run Intel Code.
Yup. Unless it is a retail version (black disc with the 'X' on it) it won't work in any machine except the one it was created for.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

DB...I have the retail one you speak of the I bought when I was given and older eMac. Now I have the MBP I of course have the disc that came with it. Does the reatil disc work on any type of Mac?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDDoG View Post
DB...I have the retail one you speak of the I bought when I was given and older eMac. Now I have the MBP I of course have the disc that came with it. Does the reatil disc work on any type of Mac?
If it is an older retail version (and it sounds like it is) then technically the answer would be no. Those discs aren't able to be used on an Intel-based Mac.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

dtravis confirmed in another thread that the Tiger retail full install version is PowerPC-based Macs only, Apple going on the assumption that for Intel-based Macs, people still have their restore disks to reinstall if they ever need to do so.

<Off topic>
Hiya MDDG! How are ya?

*Waves*
</Off topic>
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Changed my Home Folder's name | Having trouble with system preferences »