New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

10.4 Features

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nightblade

Well, I watched the 100-minute webcast of the Worldwide Developer's Conference, and I must say...I'm not TOO impressed. I mean, it's not too bad-Spotlight sounds like an excellent feature, but the others seem a bit complex and stuff that few people will use. Dashboard...I don't see what's so special. Exposé works fine for me. Core Video and Core Image? To be honest, I don't quite understand it to a full extent, but I guess it could help for software developers or something like that....Safari RSS doesn't sound TOO special. While these RSSs sound like good ideas, there's really nothing too special about them. Sure, they're up-to-date, but....And Automator? It sounds very convenient, but it's really just an unimportant luxury. iChat AV's multiple video and audio conferencing is definitely a good idea, but they still missed on the technology to record video and audio chats. And seeing as how I don't even have a webcam and very few contacts on iChat anyway, I don't think it would be of much help to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

Graeme43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I love student discount (sig)

http://macshrine.com/

I will use Dashboard because its free with 10.4 and i like the 10 people voice chat at the one time

iBook G3 (2001) 500MHz 384 RAM 9.2.2 / 10.2.8
Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001) 500MHz 768 RAM 9.2.2/10.2.8
Mac Pro (2007) 4x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 10.6.7
iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Im not too impressed either.
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

you dont get it do you? (no offence)
core video and image feature means much more render free options for video/image pros and render free means that the way less time will be spent doing movies. time is money! if one can finish video project with final cut pro on 2.5G5 mac in half the time you may spend doing it on 3.4dual Xeon PCs with adobe premier thats it! PC is out of competiotion, at least in video editing. same thing can happen in image processing.
of course these features may be less important to avarage consumers, but it will shift significant pro market share towards apple. and plus they have briliant 30" mac only display.
I guess apple is aming to toss PCs out of video/image processing buisness.
this could have significant impact on the worlds PC/Mac market share
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

I dunno guys, if your not impressed by tiger... your not understanding something.

Spotlight.. simply amazing!
The 3 Cores (finally vid and image).. this is a work of magic for sure.
automator.. nice to have around.
Safari RSS.. this will make college life a lot simpler when im looking for those damn articles for references.
iChat AV, how are you not impressed with that?

man! look again at the web stream.
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

Quicktime 6.6 in 10.4 is awesome you can select a section out of the play bar and look it and stuff :cool:

iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Hey, there are 150 new features of Tiger, alright? These just scratch the surface. I realize Apple chose to preview the ones they thought would be most impressive, but certain people, like me, might have a different opinion over which features are the most impressive. And MAC-Simus, thank you for explaining the new Cores. I guess they do sound pretty useful, actually. I knew they would be useful, but I never thought that the average computer user might have too much use for them.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the other feature they displayed: the new integration of .mac. This sounds pretty cool, especially for people with a .mac account, but it seems like most of the stuff you can now do in the Finder (or System Preferences) regarding .mac can now just as easily be done from the .mac website. Still, it is nice. But speaking of .mac, they should probably seriously beef up people's mail accounts. Yahoo already has to 100 MB, Hotmail will to 250 MB in July, and Gmail's 1000 MB service will be available to the general public soon enough. If Apple want to compete with these other services which are actually free, they still will be able to, but not in terms of .mac's mail service unless they do something. The other features of .mac are still nice, though. For example, even though the storage space of these new email services has significantly increased, the actual size of each message you can send seems to still be smaller than what you can send through an iDisk.

.Mac has other nice features as well, but they need to beef up their mail service.

BTW, is there already a thread here commenting on .mac's need to soup up their email service?
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme43
Don't think these settings i found are in 10.3 :p
I think you're right, I think it is 10.4!
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

Yup it is 10.4!!!!!!!!!!!!
RSS is uber cool :cool:

iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Clearly the 10.4 upgrades are just awesome!
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Hmm, in the webcast Steve didn't talk about VoiceOver or XCode Tools. I only found out about them from the website.

Well, whatever. I don't use them anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

i love dashboard i loove the search on the menubar... i love safari 2, ichat 3 and quicktime 6.6 :cool:

iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Anyway, I wonder how much Tiger will cost when it comes out? Probably the same as Panther when it came out, I imagine. If I would to get a new Mac I would definitely hold out until they have Tiger pre-installed, which probably won't be too long after the actual operating system comes out for sale. And then, I'd probably get an eMac G5, lol. It most likely won't be out by then, but when it does come out, I'd probably get it.
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

All my zips and dmg files went corrupt

that wouldn't be so bad... i have backup

it was my backup that went corrupt :confused: wonder why
:mad: :mad: :mad:

iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme43

All my zips and dmg files went corrupt

that wouldn't be so bad... i have backup

it was my backup that went corrupt :confused: wonder why
:mad: :mad: :mad:
I am very sorry that happened to you Graeme, and I feel for you, but I'm just wondering what this has to do with Tiger, the current topic of this thread. Again, I'm sorry this happened to you....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Postscript question | Command+Shift+P+R »