New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Upgrade process


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
MattSharp

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2006
Posts: 95
MattSharp is an unknown at this point

MattSharp is offline
So I have done the standard wavering between whether to get a new Mac now or wait for Leopard. I currently have a MacBook and will be purchasing a MBP. It also looks like my g/f will be picking up a Mac Mini. So my logic is that if I wait and get the new Macs but still want to upgrade my old Mac I will pay $130 to upgrade one computer. If I buy my new computers now, it will only cost me $60 more to upgrade all of them. But I don't even know if it's worth upgrading my secondary computer.

My primary concern is upgrading Mac OS in place. I have read that it's very easy but what about performance? If you upgrade over the old OS do you notice performance hits? Do apps work seemlessly? Is my best bet to wipe everything and re-install. I just want to know what to expect ahead of time.

The other issue is whether or not the MBP will get a specs bump before then. I don't think the Mini will because is just did last week. I won't care a lot if it's just a clock speed bump but if it's more RAM (doubtful), a bigger hard drive (could be) or new features, I might be bitter. But I doubt the change will be significant enough to get too worked up.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

 
Member Since: Apr 19, 2007
Posts: 780
smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

smurfy is offline
This isn't Windows. You don't need to have a computer manufactured in the last 8 seconds for it to run properly, even old G4 Macs will run Leopard, so your MacBook will do fine.

the MBP was upgraded like 2 months ago, and Intel hasn't released a new chipset since then. So, probably not.
QUOTE Thanks
MattSharp

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2006
Posts: 95
MattSharp is an unknown at this point

MattSharp is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
This isn't Windows. You don't need to have a computer manufactured in the last 8 seconds for it to run properly, even old G4 Macs will run Leopard, so your MacBook will do fine.

the MBP was upgraded like 2 months ago, and Intel hasn't released a new chipset since then. So, probably not.
I think you missed the point (maybe I wasn't clear so let me know). I am more wondering if I buy a MBP now, and upgrade it in 2-3 months when Leopard comes out, and I do a straight upgrade will everything work smoothly? Do you recommend a wipe and full re-install?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

 
schweb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 27, 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 13,198
schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

schweb is offline
Yes, it should work smoothly.

However, since the OS isn't even released yet and no one has even tried installing it, it's impossible for anyone to really answer your question with certainty.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
MattSharp

 
Member Since: Oct 24, 2006
Posts: 95
MattSharp is an unknown at this point

MattSharp is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Yes, it should work smoothly.

However, since the OS isn't even released yet and no one has even tried installing it, it's impossible for anyone to really answer your question with certainty.
Fair enough, this will be my first upgrade of OS X so I just wondering in the past. I am not imagining that this process will be drastically changed over previous OS X upgrades.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I think you are right, MattSharp. I can't imagine the process being totally different than what we have seen in the last two OS X version updates.

To have in-depth info on the different upgrade options, look at this Apple Knowledge Base Article, Mac OS X 10.4: About installation options.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« File sharing | problem with safari 3 downloader (i think?) »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
OS X upgrade process? CaptSaltyJack Switcher Hangout 6 04-19-2007 06:06 PM
1.8GHz Upgrade Causes Major Damages fatwaker Apple Desktops 1 03-05-2006 12:25 PM
powerbook & g4 upgrade card trouble jean poole Apple Notebooks 0 01-12-2004 05:51 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?