network drive sharing

network drive sharing
    I love this forum. Being a newer mac owner I have learned so much coming online here.

Now for my question. I have a network attached storage hard drive on my windows based network. It is under the workgroup of "Home". I can access it from my mac book and my mac mini but I have to search for it everytime I shut down. Is there a way to mount these drives every single time I start up?

If that is possible is there a way for somehow that my macbook sees its on my home network and mounts the drive by itself but if I'm at a hot spot or at someone elses house it doesn't even try so I do not receive any error messages.

Thank you for your help.

network drive sharing
    Specs:
    Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
    Once you mount it the first time, select it and use the cmd+L keys to create and alias of the mounted volume. When ever the volume is not mounted, opening the alias of it will auto mount it if you are on your Home network.

I'm not a fan of mounting volumes on login, simply because it slows boot times and using the alias method is so simple.

network drive sharing

MacsWork is a better way to do it, but if you desperately have to, I think the option you want is under System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items. Then click the + (new), and you should be able to select your mounted drive from the left hand column if you have already mounted it manually.

network drive sharing

ok explain macworks to me please

network drive sharing
    Specs:
    Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
    It's pretty much stated in my previous post. The reason not to mount a drive on a mobile machine is obvious, and I don't know of a script that will run allowing you to choose what to mount and when.

Creating an alias of a mounted network drive is a great thing. Depending on your viewing preferences, where you see a network drive will vary. Once you've mounted the drive (be sure to also add password to keychain) use the "Go" menu in the Finder. Select Go To Folder. Then in the box provided type in "/Volumes" case sensitive and with out the quotes. This is where volumes are mounted. Select the network volume you wish to fequently attach to by clicking on it once. From the "File " menu in the Finder select 'Make Alias". Drag this alias to a convenient place for later mounting like the Desktop or even the Dock next to the Trash icon. You'll notice that the next time you reboot and login the by accessing the alias, you automount the network volume.

Thread Information