New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - App folder empty

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Can someone explain this to me.
I have since Day 1 had my Application folder in my dock so when I click and hold it it opens in a kind of windows way. I just like it like that

However when I open Finder and click on the home folder the application folder is Empty

However if I click on either my Application folder on the dock or in finder as above all my apps are there

Can someone tell me whats going on ?
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

I can tell you that I do NOT have an Applications folder in my HOME folder.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Ah Thank you Ride .. So does this mean it got there by some mysteriuos means. And that it will it no harm to remove it ?

Virt rep mate I have to spread it around
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute

Drag it (the Applications folder in your Kilted (home folder) to the trash (*Don't empty the trash). Then double click the Macintosh HD in the finder window... then click Applications folder that is found there.
1. Does it open and show your Apps?

Close the finder windows.

Double click the Applications icon in the Finder.
2. Does is open and show your apps?

Close the finder windows.

Double click the Applications folder (alias) in the Sidebar of a Finder window.
3. Does is open and show your apps?

If you answered Yes to 1, 2, AND 3, I think it would be safe to say you can "empty the trash".
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

It will probably return. If you install applications for just your user account, that folder will probably be recreated.

I find mine very useful. I store my home-grown apps in there - mostly automator and applescript apps that do certain things like batch rename or mount file servers.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

Good point giulio. I install ALL my apps system wide.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Consider the following:

The sidebar has scripts that I wrote that mount servers and open a new window to the working directory, usually the webroot if it's a web server - or my home directory on my PC. These are custom built, so I store them separately than the consumer applications.

Yes... thats it... I was trying to find what I was using as a distinction between the /Applications/Utilites folder and my ~/Applications/ folder.

And there it is. If It's a commercial program, I put it in /Applicaions. If I made it myself, it goes in ~/Applications.... since they are personal to me, they go in my Home =)

I don't know how the ~/Applications folder got created in the first place. But I'm glad it was. I use it!
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 2.png (109.6 KB, 18 views)
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

Very nice! I like that. I may do something similar on my iMac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Date And Time Missing In system preferences | Miraculous Change »