New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Annoying Internet Connect window.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The Trooper

The Trooper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive

Hi. I'm kind of annoyed with something: Whenever I'm on the internet, I occasionally get a pop-up box that asks if I want to stay connected to the internet, or disconnect. If I'm away from my computer for too long when this happens, it automatically disconnects. So if I'm in the middle of downloading a large file and don't want to sit in front of the computer the whole time, and I go out for maybe an hour or so, the download stops.

What I want to know is: Is there any way to keep this from happening, so the internet stays connected unless I disconnect, without reminding me? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

When the message comes up there should be a don't ask me this again option, and on your ISP settings there should also be a disable for that -- I had the same issue!
QUOTE Thanks
werby

Go to System Preferences, select Network. Depending on how you're connecting to the internet, select "built in ethernet"" or "internal modem" from the SHOW drop-down menu. Click on the PPPoE (or PPP for dial-up) tab. Click on the PPeE (or PPP) Options button. There you can check or uncheck prefs for "promt every __ minutes if idle" and "Disconnect if idle for __ minutes" Just uncheck them both and your mac will never bother you again!
QUOTE Thanks
The Trooper

The Trooper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by werby
Go to System Preferences, select Network. Depending on how you're connecting to the internet, select "built in ethernet"" or "internal modem" from the SHOW drop-down menu. Click on the PPPoE (or PPP for dial-up) tab. Click on the PPeE (or PPP) Options button. There you can check or uncheck prefs for "promt every __ minutes if idle" and "Disconnect if idle for __ minutes" Just uncheck them both and your mac will never bother you again!
Thanks. I think that should work.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I can't open Hotmail or Amazon... | Disabling live window dragging »