New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Onyx, Startup Disk Repair, Disk Permissions?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdgti

jdgti will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM

When I ran Onyx today it said I needed to do a Startup Disk Repair Permissions. It said I had to use the install disk and then bootup with it in the disk drive and then select repair startup disk. What is the difference between this and going to disk utility and repairing permissions on my hard drive that I boot from?
QUOTE Thanks
daveinpoway

daveinpoway is on a distinguished road

I use OnyX, but I have never gotten that message. Out of curiosity, if you do a Permissions Repair from Disk Utility and then re-check with OnyX, does it tell you the same thing? Obviously, if Disk Utility tells you it cannot repair the permissions, there is some disk corruption and you should try a repair from the install DVD. In an extreme case, a third-party utility (Disk Warrior seems to be highly recommended, but I have not personally used it) may be needed.
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinpoway View Post
I use OnyX, but I have never gotten that message. Out of curiosity, if you do a Permissions Repair from Disk Utility and then re-check with OnyX, does it tell you the same thing? Obviously, if Disk Utility tells you it cannot repair the permissions, there is some disk corruption and you should try a repair from the install DVD. In an extreme case, a third-party utility (Disk Warrior seems to be highly recommended, but I have not personally used it) may be needed.
Yes after I do a permissions repair from disk utility Onyx still gives the same error. Any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Do what it says. Boot from the DVD and Repair Disk. Not Repair Disk Permissions, click Repair Disk.
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

Do you have the latest version of onyx? They updated it like a week or two ago.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

The developer Joel Barrière updated OnyX yesterday or two days ago again.
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

yes i just downloaded the new version.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgaines View Post
When I ran Onyx today it said I needed to do a Startup Disk Repair Permissions.
Well, it comes down to this... either you are reading the message wrong, or the developers wrote it wrong.

Disk Repair and Permissions Repair are two very different things.
The process you described that needs to be done is a Disk Repair. It has nothing to do with Permissions at all.

For more information on Permissions Repair, check out this Apple article:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25751

Or, to learn more about testing and repairing disks, open Disk Utility, in the /Applications/Utilities folder, and choose Help > Disk Utility Help.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

I JUST DOWNLOADED THE LATES ONYX. The website say's its version 1.8.1,
when I checked the info on the file it say's version 1.8.2. What version does it say for you guys?
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

Mine says 1.8.2

To D3v1L80Y, to clarify, I am experiencing a need for disk repair. The problem is, my disk drive does not work very well. If I install the tiger disk and depress the 'c' key, it freezes the computer on the grey screen with the apple and then circle of bars.

Seen here from google images:

http://magazine.sharereactor.ru/pict...view/boot1.jpg

Anyways, I am not sure what to do because my system seems fine, but Onyx says i need to repair disk. I am not sure to worried or what?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
ukdmbfan

ukdmbfan is on a distinguished road

It could be that your Tiger disk is b0rked, which is the most likely cause of a crash when it's trying to boot from it. See if you can give it a good clean, or get hold of another one. If you ever have any serious problems with OS X, it'd be nice to know you've got a working Tiger disk to hand that can help you out.

I believe when Onyx runs its disk check its similar to running one from Disk Utility; there's obviously a part of your hard drive somewhere that's corrupt for one reason or another. It's not uncommon, and shouldn't really affect your usage of your PC until you come across that part of the hard drive for some reason (like when you begin to run out of space) - so it's better in the long run to get it sorted.
QUOTE Thanks
Gamalen

Gamalen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook white 13' Core 2 duo 2.0 Ghz, 1.5 G Ram, 160 GB Hard Drive

I actually got the same error message as Jdgaines, when I ran onyx. I actually went through with using the install disk using the disk utility to fix the problem. Booted up the OS and ran Onyx again and Onyx didn't find anything wrong with the startup disk. I think there was something actually wrong with the hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

OK, I finally got to the Utility Menu from the startup disk after 7 hard restarts (pressed the power button because it froze... )

So I opened the disk utility and then ran the repair disk.

The disk utility ran and did some "checking":

"...
Checking blah blah
Incorrect number of thread records (red font)
Repairing Volume (green font)
(This happens 2 more times ^)
Checking Catalog Heirarchy
Checking Extended Attributes file
Checkign Volume bitmap
Checking Volume Information
The volume "Internal HD" could not be repaired after 3 attempts. (red font)

1 HFS volume checked
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error (red font)
Repair attempted of 1 volume
1 volume could not be repaired
"

Then a pop up box came up that said:

"First Aid Failed
Disk Utility stopped repairing "Internal HD" because the following error was encountered:
The Underlying task reported failure on exit"

Then I clicked ok because there were no other options.

I tried re-repairing one more time. The same thing happened. What does this mean?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

I think this means I need a new Hard Drive right?
QUOTE Thanks
jdgti

Many people online mention a software called disk warrior. Has anyone used this software or could recommend it or another one that is better?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about erasing the harddrive | Change Start up? »