New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - turn off hibernate when closing the screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Theshortbusskid

Theshortbusskid is on a distinguished road

i was wondering if it is possible to turn off hibernation when i close my laptop. is there an app out there that can turn it off for when i am sleeping so i can close it and then perhaps turn it back on when i want it to hibernate when i close it? thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

im not going to tell you not to do this or anything but i am just curious as to why people want to do this? i never understood it, had a powerbook for years and never had the necessity to close the screen but still have the thing on.
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Theshortbusskid

its not so much as i need to do it, its more along the lines of i've wanted to do it before and couldnt. its easier to move it while it is closed and say i have something running that needs to stay uninterrupted and i want to relocate. i could close it and relocate open and nothing will have happened or stopped. its not a dire necessity but i just joined the forum and thought i would ask.
-Philip
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

devils advocate:
and if you accidentally put it on your table too hard, or tap it against a door frame between rooms or something like that you could possibly trash your HD and lose everything you got. cost benefit analysis is not looking too good

-crhsi

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
Theshortbusskid

ok, you win, i just thought it would be something nice to know how to do. do you even know a way to do it though? or were you just advising me against it?
QUOTE Thanks
mck_tj05

mck_tj05 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z View Post
devils advocate:
and if you accidentally put it on your table too hard, or tap it against a door frame between rooms or something like that you could possibly trash your HD and lose everything you got. cost benefit analysis is not looking too good

-crhsi
sudden motion sensor stops disks instantly if it senses a damaging impact.

OP: there are a few programs that do what you wish. i tried searching quickly, however could not remember the names of them. i think one is called insomniac or something to that effect...

edit: found the link to insomniax

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30315
QUOTE Thanks
Theshortbusskid

i installed it and it works, however, it affects my internet connections. it slows it down considerably... the only reason i know this for sure is because my torrent speed decreased dramatically when i clicked enable insomnia and went back to normal when i clicked disable insomnia. i do, however, like the 'sleep display' option. thank you very much for this app
-Philip
QUOTE Thanks
mck_tj05

mck_tj05 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theshortbusskid View Post
i installed it and it works, however, it affects my internet connections. it slows it down considerably... the only reason i know this for sure is because my torrent speed decreased dramatically when i clicked enable insomnia and went back to normal when i clicked disable insomnia. i do, however, like the 'sleep display' option. thank you very much for this app
-Philip

no problem. i'm not sure why it would slow anything down however...
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mck_tj05 View Post
sudden motion sensor stops disks instantly if it senses a damaging impact.
Yes, and airbags and seatbelts make sure nobody ever dies in car crashes.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« someone convince this windows geek to get a MAC | Highlight and click using the trackpad? »