New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Bootable recovery partition?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gazzer82

gazzer82 is on a distinguished road

Hello

I am a bit stuck for ideas and looking for some help. I am trying to create a bootable recovery partition to allow the systematic restoration of a mac. I work for a av hire company any we hire out macs for theatre shows e.t.c and they often come back to us bearing no resemblance to the machine sent out so we have to spend time going through and re-setting settings, uninstalling/re-installing programs and removing data.

What i would like to do is create a backup using netrestore. Then create a small (50GB) partition to store it on. Then to be able to boot off that partition and restore the main os back to it's former glory.

However i am at a loss as to how to do this. I have re-formated using diskutility resize, and i have created the restore image but i cannot find a satisfactary way to creat a small boot partition, i thought about copying the files off the mac os install dvd, minus xcode e.t.c but that doesn't seem to be bootable.

So any ideas anyone??

Cheers

Gareth
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

You can have the image on another Mac or hard drive if you wish and hold down T when booting to choose Target disk mode. Also, you can add a partition to EFI:

http://refit.sourceforge.net/
QUOTE Thanks
gazzer82

gazzer82 is on a distinguished road

cheers karuzdo,

Ideally it would be great to have the image on the same computer as the install so we can do a restore onsite if needed.

Refit looks very interesting, but i think i have a solutuion.

I have partitones the drive leaving a 50GB backup partitions, then using SetFile i have hidden it from finder making it pretty much invisible to the end user. Then i have installed a basic version of OSX on the backup drive along with NetRestore, and on this install i have hidden all toolbars e.t.c and placed the image folder, NetRestore and a PDF with instructions on the desktop.

I think that will work, it's juts a pain having to install a whole os to do this,it would be great if there was something like the PE on windows to facilitate this.

Cheers

Gareth
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot-Up Question Mark Folder Impending Doom Question. | Installation »