New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Force restart issues...etc...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drewh01

drewh01 is on a distinguished road

I have a dual gig quicksilver and have had some problems lately:

1.) It all started with my system not re-booting fully after shutting down. I noticed that I had to either let it sit for 15-30 mins before I could get it to start or had to open up the tower for about 10 mins. When I would press the power button I would get the startup chime, but the monitor would not power on and it would just sit there. I use a 22" cinema display. At first I thought it was the PRAM battery, so I replaced that a month ago.

2.) When I do get it to start up sometimes I have been getting the force restart screen. Also, I have tried to Archive and Install but getting the force restart as well. Right now I am actually making prcgress with that so far. I have also had many problems burning CD's. My burner is a Pioneer DVR-104.

I ran a hardware test last night and all passed. I was able to run a system utility from the OSX CD and all passed as well. I tried to run Disk Warrior but it locked up in the middle of the scan.

The fan is working as I can see (and feel) it spin. Could I be overheating and the system shuts it's self off as a saftey procedure?

Any other things to look at? Also, does anyone know how to replace the CD/DVD drive for this model mac? I tried to give it a go once and could not get it out. I have been able to replace these on other models, but this one is really in there good.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
drewh01

drewh01 is on a distinguished road

Also, once I complete my Archive and install. What OS update should I run? I used to be on 10.4.2 because it worked so well for me...but am open to suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uninstall a listed process? | Problem with "users" »