New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Macbook - Clean Sweep

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AduNeButt

AduNeButt is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm a fairly new Mac owner and upon receiving my laptop I decided to try and learn as much as I could about Macs through experimentation. After putting my laptop through a few questionable downloads, I have found myself with a laptop that runs exceptionally slower than when I purchased it. In short, I'm looking for a way to totally clean my hard drive and restore my laptop to the point of when I purchased it. This would be the Windows version of a total system restore. Since I'm new, I don't really know of any way to do this, so if anyone could tell me, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
JustinHorne

JustinHorne is on a distinguished road

Insert your OS X disc that came with the computer. Click install OS X, let it do it's thing, eventually choose the option "Clean install." This will revert it to facotry settings (And wipe ALL the data you may have put on it since getting it. Be sure to backup.
QUOTE Thanks
cgchambers

cgchambers is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5

you might want to run onyx before you reload, any time I have any slowdown Onyx cleans my machine right up. Just run the daily, weekly, and monthly scripts.

Just another thought, can't hurt. Good luck
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

you need to press C while starting so it boots from the CD.
QUOTE Thanks
pepesassy

pepesassy is on a distinguished road

I know Mac does not provide a clean sweep for unnecessary files (the junk accumulated after downloading an application, etc.). Is there a trusted program to provide a search and destroy mission, or do I have to do it manually file by file? Thanks I use a MacBook 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I've had exceptional luck with AppCleaner. It's free and gets rid of files for that application that don't get removed when you simply trash it. That said, if an app comes with an uninstaller, don't use AC and use the uninstaller.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Changing Size of Icons? | Disk Partition won't boot »