New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - CD's Not Booting :(

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

youngwun0

youngwun0 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,

Now here's the deal... i have an iMac G3 that has been working wonders for me for 6 months now since i purchased it on eBay everything seems to be working fine BUT recently i came in interest to want to upgrade from the installed Panther 10.3.9 to the latest version of Tiger.... now i purchased the dvd's and swapped it with apple for $10 so they gave me the CD set version since i am sadly running it with a cd-rom tray anyways i was exited when i got the disc and was ready to install tiger and discovered... the install disk were not booting, the cd-rom tray as is fine and it is able to read cd's and do everything a regular cd-rom tray would do but when i try booting the install disc holding C when starting the machine or even when i set the install CD as the startup disk i get either a question mark on boot or it will just ignore it, the install CD itself is perfectly clean and will read just fine, i can even click the install tiger icon and it states i will have to restart and it will boot then and ask for my password i do so but it doesn't show anything... it will just boot my Mac OS X 10.3.9 I was doing some research and found out that it may be because my CD-Rom tray is not supported or something.... I'm not sure how true this is but i was hoping there was a work around as i do not have any mac friends, i have no firewire cables, no external hdd's, and no money to replace the cd-rom tray due to the fact that i spent enough on the Tiger set and will be broke for a while..... my question is... has anyone ever ran into this problem before and may know how to fix or work around it ??? I have 2 pc's and a ipod is all i can see that would MAYBE be useful but i doubt even that would be helpful

If anyone needs to know here are my mac's specs:
Apple iMac G3 Indigo (Model: M5521)
Processor: 400 Mhz G3 PowerPc
320MB Ram
10GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM Drive
Network: 10/100 Ethernet
Modem: 56.6k
Wireless: Airport Ready
Ports: 2 USB + 2 Firewire
Display: 15" Color (13.8" viewable, .28 dp, 95 Hz-800 x 600).
Onboard Sound With Headphone Jack
Operating System: Mac O/S/X 10.3.9 And Mac O/S 9.2.2 Installed
QUOTE Thanks
youngwun0

youngwun0 is on a distinguished road

I just thought of something..... now since i don't think i have many options besides finding a mac friend or getting a new dvd or cd-rom drive.... i was wondering since i have 2 pc's already here.... does anyone know if it would be possible to use my pac to run the tiger installation and move the installation to my mac's HDD ? or maybe convert the pc running tiger to my mac HDD to where i can be bootable somehow ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Error when trying to burn files to disk | Temp files and history... »