New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - Clamshell help!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thur5d4yf4n

thur5d4yf4n is on a distinguished road

I managed to get a hold of a perfect apple clamshell from an auction. After loading it up, I found out that it was once a school laptop for students to use, so it has a network login on boot up. I want a fresh copy of mac osx panther installed. What will I need to do to do this? I have an iMac G5 if in case I need to use it for anything regarding install etc. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

You'd probably need a ton more RAM. Do you know how much it has? Don't try to load X on it without finding out whether it needs a firmware update first.

What's its processor speed? If it will run X, you'll need an all-model install disk, and if it can't read DVDs, you'd need to order it on CDs that cost an extra $10 U.S., I think. The DVD installer that came with the G5 won't work anyway, even if it's Panther, because the installer that ships with any computer is model specific.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

You need a copy of panther and install it. If the clamshell has firewire, why not upgrade to tiger? You need to upgrade the RAM, the most you can get within your budget is best. Possibly a new HD, a 7200RPM drive will make the whole computer function faster.
I had a clamshell, 466MHz I believe, and ran Panther fine with 256MB RAM and an 60GB 7200RPM HD. It skips alot when watching movies though. 466MHz was a little slow for watch full screen movies.
Discs are model specific, so you can't use the G5 iMac discs. You will need a retail copy of 10.3.
Hope you get out it what you want.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
thur5d4yf4n

Well i know for sure it doesnt have any RAM upgrades becase it takes a good 5 minutes to boot into login, and besides I cant view any of the specs without logging in. How do I upgrade the firmware, or how do I know whether (sp) it needs an upgrade? I know it takes PC100 RAM which I can get off most computer websites, but where would I get Panther on a CD?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

Is it running OS9? You need version 9.2.2 with the firmware upgrade to get any version of 10 on the laptop (I believe.)
If you have a version of OS X, you can just install the latest version.
Panther you can get on eBay. I think you can pick up a copy for $30 or so.
Bryan

QUOTE Thanks
thur5d4yf4n

Lol no, it definately has OS9.X.X
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

bryphotoguy, you are 100% correct about needing OS 9.2.2 with the Firmware upgrade before jumping to OS X. The Firmware upgrade is extremely important as Brown Study noted. AFAIK you can get the 9.2.2 upgrade for free from a number of sites.

At the moment a good web browser for Mac OS 9 can be found here:

WaMCom.org

Basically, it's an early Mozilla build compatible with Mac OS 9 and your download is under this heading:

Apple Mac OS 8.6 and 9.x classic binary (stuffit directory) (15 MB)

You might also find this link useful:

Mac OS 9: Available Updates
QUOTE Thanks
thur5d4yf4n

Guys; I really appreciate all of this great info! However, I think I'm screwed because i can't get a firware update unless I am able to login to my mac, which I am unable to do! AH!!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thur5d4yf4n View Post
Guys; I really appreciate all of this great info! However, I think I'm screwed because i can't get a firware update unless I am able to login to my mac, which I am unable to do! AH!!
If and when you get the Panther Disc, just boot up from it pressing the 'C' key when you hear the startup chime. Then you should be able to install the upgrade.

If you buy the OS X install DVDs make sure that they have a big X on the label. This denotes that they're the Full Retail Software & Restore Discs which are the ones you specifically need.

You can read about the difference between Model Specific Software Installation & Restore Discs and Full Retail Software Installation & Restore Discs here.

QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

hmm, wait a minute... I am pretty sure I did not have to do all this when upgraded to Panther. I think I was able to do a fresh install after I installed the 60GB HD in the machine and skipped putting OS9 on it. I don't remember having this much trouble.
OS X Panther Install CD's
Bryan

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« is there a way to lock a folder? | Disable External Drives/USB Keys »