New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

choose start up folder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

d4rklit3

being a native PC user and making a grave error in just copying the OS9 system folder to the Mac Harddrive with OS x.3 installed thinking i can have classic mode I realised that i just ****ed the computer up because i told it to boot from OS 9. Now it just freezes and doesnt even know the OS X.3 even exists. I am wondering how to select the boot folder that OS x.3 resides in from startup. Ive tried pressing Option and it just shows me the Hard Drive and if i try to start from that it attempts to go to OS 9, which locks up. A breif history.. I was using Norton System Works Disk Doctor and that worked out and cleaned out my drive. than i went to speed disk, and after realizing that it would still take forever to defrag the HD i cancelled it and tried rebooting. So now i have a fake OS 9 trying to boot wichi doesnt work and i cant get OS X to start. please help me.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You have not mess your system up like you think. First under OS X you can install OS 9 later, but to be able to boot from OS 9 you need to have two thnings. The first the system must be able to boot to OS 9 and second when you installed OS X 10.3.3 you needed to install the OS 9 hard disk drivers.

Now to your problem. If you boot up your system and press and hold the option key, I beleive you will get a boot list. If I remember correctly tab to the one you want then press return. You can also try holding down the X key on reboot.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
d4rklit3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
You have not mess your system up like you think. First under OS X you can install OS 9 later, but to be able to boot from OS 9 you need to have two thnings. The first the system must be able to boot to OS 9 and second when you installed OS X 10.3.3 you needed to install the OS 9 hard disk drivers.

Now to your problem. If you boot up your system and press and hold the option key, I beleive you will get a boot list. If I remember correctly tab to the one you want then press return. You can also try holding down the X key on reboot.
i have hit the X key and it still trys to go to OS 9.. and when i hit option key it only gives me one option and thats the one hard drive with all the systems on it. but it goes automatically to OS 9 either way
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

I had similar problem on one of eMac700s. classic didnt work, then i deleated classic and reinstalled it. it didn help eather. I tried to reboot in os 9 and there you go! same as you are saying. it just stuck on os9. only thing that worked out for me was to boot from os X CD and erase the disc completely with disk utility, repared (there was something wrong with the HD) it and reinstalled both X and 9 systems. now it works fine. ofcourse its last thing you do, couse you will loose all data, but if nothing else helps try this.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Can you you boot from an OS 9 CDROM?

If you can maybe you can change the start drive to the OS X drive.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What do I need to know before setting up my new hard disk? | Slow login »