New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Master Password

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

swayp11

swayp11 is on a distinguished road

I wanted to set a master password for my MacBook, which would prompt for a password when waking my computer up and for changing important features.

I set one but than decided I wanted to change the password and went to System Preferences to do so. What's weird though, is once I went through the part of putting my old password (I will call X) in and then my new password (I will call Y) twice, I hit OK. But my password never changed. I still use X to wake up my computer, etc. So then I went to change it again, and it prompts me to put in my password to make this change and X works. But then when I get to the part to change it, I put in X as my old password and Y as the new one again, but it won't let me change it. It says the old password is wrong. So then I put in Y as the old password, and it lets me change it. But then testing it out, X is the only password that works.

Am I insane or is something wrong? I guess it wouldn't be the first time for either.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

You have to boot from the DVD. 3 screens into the installation process look in the tool bar at the top for an option to change password. Follow the instructions and you can change it. Then quit the Installation process and reboot the machine from the hard drive.

QUOTE Thanks
swayp11

swayp11 is on a distinguished road

why would i have to do that? meaning.. why doesn't the thing in system preferences work? is there something buggy about my machine?
QUOTE Thanks
kiteboarder

kiteboarder is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread... Let me point out that a Master Password is not the same password that you would use to wake the computer up from sleep, or from a screen saver, or even to install apps. This is your administrator password.
QUOTE Thanks
mikepugs

mikepugs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteboarder View Post
I know this is an old thread... Let me point out that a Master Password is not the same password that you would use to wake the computer up from sleep, or from a screen saver, or even to install apps. This is your administrator password.
That would make a lot of sense. The administrator password is what you are asked for when you're editing the apps folder or waking the computer. Good catch kiteboarder.

l 8GB iPhone 3G l 15" Macbook Pro l Powerbook G4 15" l 8GB iPod Touch l 4GB iPod Mini l
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Erase and install | "Need To Restart" window »