New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Upgrade Mac Mini OS 10.3 to 10.4 problem


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
jimnation

 
jimnation's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 24, 2007
Location: Here. No really, here.
Posts: 10
jimnation is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, Mac Mini

jimnation is offline
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to setup my Airport Extreme network, which is okay. My issue is that when I try to upgrade my Mac Mini (512mg RAM) from 10.3 to 10.4 so that it's compatible with the Airport Extreme utilities, I receive an error that the upgrade could not be completed. When I try to use the Utility (as the help menu suggests)to repair the disk, I receive another error that the repairs could not be made. Anyone know any thing about this?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,855
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
So you have a G4 Mac Mini with Panther 10.3 and want to upgrade to Tiger 10.4? What media are you using to upgrade? What CD/DVD media? Only thing that will work is a Factory OSX Tiger 10.4 DVD and not a machine specific install DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I think dtravis has it right: sounds to me too like you are trying to use install disks that come from another Mac to perform that 10.3 to 10.4 upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
jimnation

 
jimnation's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 24, 2007
Location: Here. No really, here.
Posts: 10
jimnation is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, Mac Mini

jimnation is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
So you have a G4 Mac Mini with Panther 10.3 and want to upgrade to Tiger 10.4? What media are you using to upgrade? What CD/DVD media? Only thing that will work is a Factory OSX Tiger 10.4 DVD and not a machine specific install DVD.
I'm using a Factory OSX Tiger 10.4 DVD that I just purchased.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,855
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnation View Post
I'm using a Factory OSX Tiger 10.4 DVD that I just purchased.
Are you running the Disk Utility in 10.3 or from the 10.4 Tiger DVD? Sounds like there are problems on your Hard Drive that need to be repaired. Since the drive is mounted when booted from your Hard Drive, you should run Disk Utility from the DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
jimnation

 
jimnation's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 24, 2007
Location: Here. No really, here.
Posts: 10
jimnation is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, Mac Mini

jimnation is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Are you running the Disk Utility in 10.3 or from the 10.4 Tiger DVD? Sounds like there are problems on your Hard Drive that need to be repaired. Since the drive is mounted when booted from your Hard Drive, you should run Disk Utility from the DVD.
I have tried both the 10.4 and the 10.3 utilities. The error I receive is in the 10.4 utility (somewhat understandable), but when I try in 10.3, the repair options are unavailable ('greyed out').
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,855
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnation View Post
I have tried both the 10.4 and the 10.3 utilities. The error I receive is in the 10.4 utility (somewhat understandable), but when I try in 10.3, the repair options are unavailable ('greyed out').
When the drive is mounted the repair options are grayed out as you can not repair a Hard Drive while it's mounted. The one on the Tiger DVD should work. Sounds like there is a bad issue. What error does the 10.4 Disk Utility give you?

Do you still have your install disks that came with the Mini? IF so boot from them and try running Disk Utility, but the one on the 10.4 DVD should work. Do it all the time unless there is something major wrong that it can't get around.

If nothing else works and you can't get Disk Utility to fix the issues, I would back up your important files and install 10.4 fresh.
QUOTE Thanks
jimnation

 
jimnation's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 24, 2007
Location: Here. No really, here.
Posts: 10
jimnation is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, Mac Mini

jimnation is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
When the drive is mounted the repair options are grayed out as you can not repair a Hard Drive while it's mounted. The one on the Tiger DVD should work. Sounds like there is a bad issue. What error does the 10.4 Disk Utility give you?

Do you still have your install disks that came with the Mini? IF so boot from them and try running Disk Utility, but the one on the 10.4 DVD should work. Do it all the time unless there is something major wrong that it can't get around.

If nothing else works and you can't get Disk Utility to fix the issues, I would back up your important files and install 10.4 fresh.
Thanks! I'll try - I'm at work right now and the Mac Min's at home. I will post an update this evening.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,855
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnation View Post
Thanks! I'll try - I'm at work right now and the Mac Min's at home. I will post an update this evening.
Sounds good. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« keychain not found | need help !! »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Mac Mini won't update to 10.4 rogerchristian OS X - Operating System 2 10-18-2006 02:58 AM
Switching soon with a Mac Mini from Linux and Windows walkerj Switcher Hangout 7 02-14-2005 03:23 PM
Mac Users Get More ISP Choices schweb Apple Rumors and Reports 1 03-06-2003 11:57 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?