New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - FireWire stopped working (10.4.10 update?)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

arildgismervik

arildgismervik is on a distinguished road

hello

my imac has stopped recognizing firewire. When I connect my wd-disc or motu soundcard, nothing happens

My specs are:
1.9 GHz PowerPC G5
1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM
osx 10.4.10

A few hours prior to the problem i installed the 10.4.10 update. When I rebooted I recived kernel panic for the first time. Then as Ive said after an hour or so the machine stopped recognizing firewire.

I have (among others) tried safe mode, repaire permissions, that alt+option+p+r thing and this other thing I found on the web:

* shut down and disconnect all external drives and peripherals ; make sure nothing is connected to the FireWire ports
* use Apple Disk Utility to repair permissions on your internal boot drive
* shut down and disconnect the AC power from the computer as well as the drives; if laptop, also remove battery
* let sit unpowered and unconnected for 15 minutes
* reconnect AC power to only the computer (battery too if laptop)
* restart computer
* verify that FireWire ports are visible within Apple System Profiler
* reconnect FireWire drive (only one); refresh window within Apple System Profiler to rescan the FireWire bus; confirm that drive is visible
* confirm drive is OK by using Apple Disk Utility and apply First Aid
* repeat for other drives, one at a time

nothing seem to work.
Any suggestions? Im starting to get desperate over here (norway )
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, arildgismervik.

I have an iMac G5 too and everything is working fine. Take a look at this post and try what is suggested. And never mind the mention about Safari 3 if you haven't installed that beta.

Good luck, let us know how it goes by reporting back.
QUOTE Thanks
arildgismervik

thanks for the help

unfortunaly it didnt do much difference. I also tried one of those pmu without it having an effect

would it help to (dont know the correct word) format/clean up and reinstall osx?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

First, you do have your install disks that came with your Mac, yes? Insert the disk that contains the Apple Hardware Test, restart holding down the C key and when prompted, ask for the Extended Test to be run. This will check all the hardware components on your Mac, including RAM, ports, video card, etc.

Post back with your findings. If the port is dead, it will be listed as such in the report once the test is over.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Agreed with MHC, run the hardware test and see if finds any issues. I have a 2.1Ghz iMac iSight and the firewire works as normal since the update. Let us know if the Hardware Test finds anything.
QUOTE Thanks
core20

core20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo

seems to be a couple of issues with the new update, but mainly isolated though
QUOTE Thanks
arildgismervik

Dont you mean holding down the option button. Thats whats written on the install cd. "C" is to start up from osx. I tried holding down the c button to make sure but only came to the installation.

anyway. I tried holding down the option button but nothing happens. I must have tried like 5 times - holding it down during the whole startup.
It doesnt make sense
QUOTE Thanks
Justin

Justin is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by core20 View Post
seems to be a couple of issues with the new update, but mainly isolated though
Well it happens for me too. My USB external hard disk not being recognised, and popping sounds too.

Using brand new macbook
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« is there a way to uninstall an update? | Mounts, how to »