New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Your thoughts on .Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gav

Gav is on a distinguished road

IMHO, it has a LOT of potential. I would pay for the Family Pack, but come on, almost 200 a year for e-mail and 4GB of storage???

Not only that, the Mail is limited, because you HAVE to use @mac.com

Its a nice domain, sure. But I have my own domain that I'd like to use with it.

I mean, you can use Yahoo! Mail (Free) with your own domain(s).

Its a shame, I hope Apple do something with it when they release Leopard, although thats going to cause MORE problems because you can't sync between tiger and leopard properly.

Back to Mac does sound good, but I dunno - .Mac in its present condition is too expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
brendan67

brendan67 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2 4gbram iPhone5

hi

i had some of your reservations as well, but at the end of they day decided
on .mac and haven't regretted it one bit.

its a bit like a mac it just works seemlessly and is always there when you
need it. mainly i use iweb a lot, and find it easier just to publish to .mac

you can get discounted .mac if you buy through a reputable dealer on ebay
cost was an issue for me but i have saved money buying my yearly subscription this way for the past three years.

regards
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

I haven't used it for more than 2 or 3 days (during my trial period), it didn't appeal to me.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I've had my account for 5 years and I can't see the day where I would stop my subscription.
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

I have had the account from when it was free. I use iDisk to for backup, and of course use .mac mail. I am pleased, always hoping they add some features.
QUOTE Thanks
eon.

eon. is on a distinguished road

I too am finding it difficult to justify the price for the features provided. I could really only see myself using iDisk because everything else can be found for free (website domains, web mail etc) and even then, I'm sure iDisk has it's capacity and bandwidth limits.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
Not only that, the Mail is limited, because you HAVE to use @mac.com
Are you referring to the .Mac email account or the Mail program in OS X? If the latter, then you should know that you can most definitely use other domains. Mail accepts all POP3 and IMAP accounts.

I'll agree that I find it hard to justify the price of a .Mac subscription. In my opinion, it's too overpriced for what it offers, especially when I can get all of its features for free. I have my own domain that I use for hosting my site and online storage. The speeds are faster, I have more space, and I have the domain of my own choosing. The only thing I don't have is bookmark syncing, but then again, I don't have a second Mac to sync with, so that's useless for me.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

No, I think he means you have use the @Mac.com domain when you use .Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

It's possible to get better prices on eBay and the product is same as new, sealed and ready to register.

If you're really interested but don't want to pay the price you might check it out there.

Good luck.

"We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of smart"! - Unknown
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
No, I think he means you have use the @Mac.com domain when you use .Mac.
That's what I'm thinking, but I just wanted to make sure. Wouldn't want the guy to be upset about the program when it can do the very thing he's asking for

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« update | ? »