New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Removing APE and/or Steermouse?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Okay, somethings gone horribly wrong. I've uninstalled Logitech Control Center from my MacBook following numerous kernel panics, and installed the latest version of Steermouse. Between the two of them, and possibly linked to the 10.4.10 update installed the other day, the Mac now becomes unresponsive soon after starting up. The mouse pointer still moves, and the keyboard stops the screen power saver, but OSX just hangs. One time a black spinny "working" thing appeared where the volume notification symbol appears, but it just sat there - all I can do it power it off.

I have a feeling that the dreaed Application Enhancer - which Logitech uses - may be still there, either that or Steermouse is causing it. So, I've started it in Single User mode and I'm looking at a command prompt. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of, or disable, Application Enhancer, and/or SteerMouse from the prompt? Or.... anything?

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I don't know how, but why not boot the Mac with the problem in target Firewire mode wit your other Mac and simply remove what you want from the hard drive that way? You can also run disc utility and have Onyx run the Cron scripts too.

To boot to Target FW mode, connect the two Macs via a FW cable, then boot the one that needs help while holding down the "T" key. You'll get the FW symbol on that ones screen and the other will mount the HDD on it's desktop and you can go from there.

QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice

Because I don't have a Firewire cable.

I found Application Enhancer and deleted it, now it boots up fine. The only problem is, the hard drive is reporting a SMART failure to Disk Utility. Great. This isn't how I envisaged spending Saturday night...

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
Because I don't have a Firewire cable.
For want of a nail.....

At least you got it sorted out. Sucks about the Hard Drive though.

QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
For want of a nail.....

At least you got it sorted out. Sucks about the Hard Drive though.
Yeah. I'm suspicious that it appeared the same time as APE blew everything up, but after taking it out and reseating it and booting off the install disc, everything reports failure. I'd better get a new drive just in case. And a FW cable!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« newbie queston: repair permissions for 10.4.10 update? | "Disk Images Fail to Mount/ OS X 10.4.10" »