New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - newbie queston: repair permissions for 10.4.10 update?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chuck Jeanneret

Chuck Jeanneret is on a distinguished road

Hi all, new to Macs and I wanted to download the new 10.4.10 update. I was reading that people are recommending to "repair permisions" before and after download.

questions:
1) what does "repair permissions" mean?

2) I went to the disk utilities app as directed and I saw on the left pane "149.1 GB ST... and right under that indented was "Macintosh HD". I am guessing the first line is describing my actual physical HD? Which one do I need to perfom this "repair permissions" to?

Thanks all for your time. Looking forward to learning more from you guys, so thanks in advance for putting up with my questions!!!
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteNoiseMaker

WhiteNoiseMaker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2.0GHz CD | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive | iPod 3G 20GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Jeanneret View Post
Hi all, new to Macs and I wanted to download the new 10.4.10 update. I was reading that people are recommending to "repair permisions" before and after download.
I also read about doing this and guess what, I did this when it came to installing 10.4.10, and I still have the problems others are reporting. My suggestion to you is if your Mac is working fine now, I would not risk running the 10.4.10 update! Wait until Apple release a fix and people start to report the problems are gone.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot from DMG? | Removing APE and/or Steermouse? »