New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - 10.4.10 -> Desktop disabled

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DJ Doena

DJ Doena is on a distinguished road

Yesterday I installed MacOS 10.4.10. Since then my Mac needs more than 5 minutes to boot up.

What's more, my Desktop is inaccessable. I cannot click on any item on it and my background image is not shown.

It's an Intel CoreDuo MacMini

I repaired the user rights and re-installed the MacOs. But after upgrading to 10.4.10 again I got the same problem again.

Any help?
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

If you create a new user, does it happen for that user as well? If not, it's related to a permissions issue and/or corrupted file for your current user. I would go into terminal and do the following (for permissions):

cd /Users
sudo chown -R goofy:admin goofy/
sudo chmod -R 755 goofy/
exit

This will set your permissions on all files in your user profile (example above uses goofy as the user- no offense intended at all).
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

I think I would try booting into disk utilities from the install disk. Hold C while booting

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to reset the operating system | mtk process? »