New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Pocket PC with a Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Billbeme

Billbeme is on a distinguished road

Dear Users,
I am interested in switching from my Palm OS Treo 650 to a Windows Mobile Pocket PC (http://laptopmag.com/Review/HTC-Mogul.htm) and was wondering if anyone has successfully connected a Pocket PC with a Mac. If so, please tell me how you connected the two, what software you may have used, the overall experience of connecting the two, and any other general impressions or information you may be interested in sharing. Thanks for the time, it is greatly appreciated!

-Billbeme
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Kar98 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

Missing Sync 3.0.2

Does not sync e-mails, brings its own application to store notes on your Mac, syncs calendar, address book, to dos, device time. Allows you to mount the Pocket PC like a drive. Connects PocketPC via USB, network, or bluetooth.

Can not be used to install programs via Windows installer *.exe files (i.e. files that need to be run on a Windows PC to install them on the PDA). The "Install" button is a bit misleading.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
Billbeme

Kar98,
Thanks for the picture of The Missing Sync. I was very much considering that, but was apprehensive because of this: http://www.macupdate.com/reviews.php?id=12331. The reviews of TMS for Macs were not so reassuring, and the price tag attached to the software was also a big turn-off. Perhaps you can reassure me. I have a few lingering questions:

1. Do you use TMS for your PPC, if you have one?
2. How has it worked for you?
3. How do you install programs if TMS doesn't do it?
4. Would it be easier just to use my Intel MacBook with Parallels for my PPC? 5. Has anyone gone that route?

Thanks guys, and sorry for the multiple questions!

-Billbeme
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbeme View Post
The reviews of TMS for Macs were not so reassuring,
Well, it can be quirky at first set up, like doubling address book or calendar entries, or tossing a few fields around. After that, not a problem.

> 1. Do you use TMS for your PPC, if you have one?

Yes, that's a screenshot I took. I'm using a Dell Axim x30 wireless with my mini.

> 2. How has it worked for you?

OK. No real problems.

> 3. How do you install programs if TMS doesn't do it?

Extract the .cab file and run it on the PDA. But I don't have that many extra programs installed anyway. Just TomTom 6 and Conversions in Hand. That, and reading e-books (in HTML format), and keeping my address book is pretty much all I'm doing with it.

> 4. Would it be easier just to use my Intel MacBook with Parallels for my PPC?

Definitely, if you're in the habit of installing programs very often and want them on your memory card. If not, then not so much.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
Billbeme

With that being said, here comes the second round of questions!

1. Have you connected a PPC with Windows? If so, what software do you use?
2. What is the benefit of Windows as the desktop opposed to TMS?
3. What eBook reader do you use?
4. Do you install media such as movies or music? If so, does TMS support that?
5. Is it worth the money to buy TMS, or rather Parallels?
6. What is the limits of TMS?
7. Is TMS difficult to set-up?

Thanks Kar98, and any others!!
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

1. Have you connected a PPC with Windows? If so, what software do you use?

Yes. ActiveSync 3.8 (newer versions don't allow syncing over your WLAN), or whatever the thing in Vista is called now.

2. What is the benefit of Windows as the desktop opposed to TMS?

You can sync e-mails, too. Notes are kept within Outlook. And you can easily install programs to your memory card.

3. What eBook reader do you use?

Pocket Internet Explorer. I like HTML

4. Do you install media such as movies or music? If so, does TMS support that?

I don't, and it does, and you can even "install" that kind of stuff using TMS (that's what the install button does). But, seeing how the PDA has only a USB1.1 connection, it's easier just to put the memory card into a card reader that supports USB2.0. Much faster. Besides, you can't copy files or folders bigger than 1GB over USB1.1 anyway.

5. Is it worth the money to buy TMS, or rather Parallels?

Depends. Do you see yourself using Windows-only programs often? You know there _is_ a free Solitaire game for OSX

6. What is the limits of TMS?
7. Is TMS difficult to set-up?

See above, and no, it's not really difficult.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
Billbeme

Hmph! It seems as though I will just have to make a decision. I am out of questions! Wait!

1. Which do you prefer? Active Sync on Windows or TMS?
2. Were the bad reviews on MacUpdate likely to be on the part of the user and not the software?
3. What does the HTML eBook reading make reference to?

I think I am straining now! ha! Thanks for all the help Kar98! If anyone has anything else to add, additional perspectives are always a good thing. Thanks to all and I hope to hear back from more!

Thanks!

-Billbeme
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

1. Which do you prefer? Active Sync on Windows or TMS?

Missing Sync. Got no need for Windows

2. Were the bad reviews on MacUpdate likely to be on the part of the user and not the software?

Well, people who are utterly satisfied with something usually don't write posts. Look at the number of people at Apple Discussions or here who have just one post, because they just signed up to ask for help or to rant. Of course that could be my subjective impression

3. What does the HTML eBook reading make reference to?

Download e-books in HTML format or convert them into HTML format. Read on PDA, using Pocket IE.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks
Billbeme

Kar98,
Thanks for all the GREAT help! I was wondering if you had every used parallels for Mac? I am thinking that is the way to go over TMS and wanted your thoughts. Is it a RAM pig? Also, I apologize...but I am interested in doing a lot of reading on my PPC and was wondering if you could explain (yet again) the HTML setup? Thanks!

-Billbeme
QUOTE Thanks
Kar98

I haven't tried Parallels yet. I had Bootcamp/Vista for a while, but as it turned out, the only time I ever booted into it was when somebody had Vista questions.

There really is nothing to explain about reading ebooks on your PDA. Obtain ebook, preferably in HTML format. Copy to your PDA. Read.

I has a signijer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail keeps freezing?!?!?! | Why does Dock magnification just quit sometimes? »