New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.0 - erm... i think its broken :S

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fearless

fearless is on a distinguished road

Hello, i've had my macbook for almsot six months now and tonight, i was just using MSN and this message came up

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107061

now it wont go away, ive restarted loads... what can i do? nothings responding

(im not even sure what OS it is..im useless )
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Kernel panics generally mean a hardware issue. Get out the discs that came with your Macbook and find the one to run hardware tests to rule out that possibility.

And your Macbook is running 10.4 Tiger

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Kernel panics generally mean a hardware issue. Get out the discs that came with your Macbook and find the one to run hardware tests to rule out that possibility.

And your Macbook is running 10.4 Tiger
Thanks... that'll have to waiit till morning tho. *sigh*

i have other problems with this machine too! the monitor is messed up.... when i watch videos or have pictures, some pixels are green, and some are purple. any idea on that too?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Is it the same set of pixels or do they randomly pop up? If it's the same set, it could be that you have stuck pixels. I think there is a way to fix this problem on your own, but I don't know off the top of my head. Perhaps somebody else can shed some light on it.

Be sure to post the results of your hardware test so that we can help advise you better

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Is it the same set of pixels or do they randomly pop up? If it's the same set, it could be that you have stuck pixels. I think there is a way to fix this problem on your own, but I don't know off the top of my head. Perhaps somebody else can shed some light on it.

Be sure to post the results of your hardware test so that we can help advise you better
it's differnet pixels each time, although when i scroll a page down, when the image moves, the same pixels will stay discoloured....

The hardware test will have to wait until after work tomoro,as im not too sure where my discs are.

thanks for all your help so far though
QUOTE Thanks
fearless

The test gave this result:

4MEM/1/40000000: 1414d918

but also 1414d3b8

then

1414d198 (seven times) and then it didnt seem like anything was happening.

What do i do?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Googling for those numbers doesn't bring anything up. I have a feeling it,s warning you about bad RAM. Just the code MEM makes me think of that.

Did you add any or is it all factory installed RAM? In either case, take it back to an Apple Store nearby or a Mac reseller and have them check it out: it should be still under warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
fearless

It had extra installed RAM when i bought it. I'll take it tomorrow. Will they keep it or is it a job tha can be fixed there and then?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Did the store install the extra RAM module or did you?

If you installed it yourself, take the extra module out. Restart. If it is the new module that is faulty, there shouldn't be any further kernel panics if the rest is healthy. And if you installed it yourself, contact the reseller you bought it from and get a brand new module to replace it, if you bought RAM that has a lifetime warranty, that is.

If it was installed by the store, they should swap this faulty module for a new one no charge.
QUOTE Thanks
fearless

yep. i ordered it online about 6 months ago. it should still be fine. i'll be hunting for a shop this week....
QUOTE Thanks
fearless

my macbook has a copy of final cut pro on it... .given to my by a tutor at university. along with a serial number... if i ahve to send this off to apple, will i get done for it? im pretty sure thats illegal right? will they check my harddrive?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I have never sent a computer back at Apple so am not sure what exactly they do. You should have no problem, however, if you can prove you are a student if they look around that hard drive of yours.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing OSx on older Imac? | Help, computer crash »