New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Unexpected Quitting and Freezing


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
opticalcortex

 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2007
Posts: 4
opticalcortex is on a distinguished road

opticalcortex is offline
Hi all;

I am having a somewhat bizzare problem with my MacBook (it's a 2ghz, 1GB ram, 60GB HDD running OS 10.4.9). Recently (the past couple of days), my programmes have been unexpectedly quitting or freezing on me.

It is mainly happening to MS Messenger, Work and Firefox. Messenger goes down every time I try to close a conversation window, started originally freezing needing a force quit, but now it is just quitting on me, word is freezing then quitting everytime I try to save a document, I found that out the hard way and lost three hours work, and FF just keeps falling over, not at ay particular time or on any particular actions from me, randomly while loading a page or even just when I am scrolling down.

I recently uninstalled ClamXav, and recently installed the Safari Beta. Other than that, I don't think I have done anything.


Any thoughts? It's just like being back on windows!

Thanks in advance.

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,500
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalcortex View Post
Hi all;

I am having a somewhat bizzare problem with my MacBook (it's a 2ghz, 1GB ram, 60GB HDD running OS 10.4.9). Recently (the past couple of days), my programmes have been unexpectedly quitting or freezing on me.

It is mainly happening to MS Messenger, Work and Firefox. Messenger goes down every time I try to close a conversation window, started originally freezing needing a force quit, but now it is just quitting on me, word is freezing then quitting everytime I try to save a document, I found that out the hard way and lost three hours work, and FF just keeps falling over, not at ay particular time or on any particular actions from me, randomly while loading a page or even just when I am scrolling down.

I recently uninstalled ClamXav, and recently installed the Safari Beta. Other than that, I don't think I have done anything.


Any thoughts? It's just like being back on windows!

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Remove ClamXAV first and see if there is any difference. Since there are no known viruses for the Mac, Mac anti-virus products use heuristics which monitor and intervene in certain functions of the OS. It is more likely this would cause a problem than another program that doesn't run constantly.

Aside from that, try running the cleaning and maintenance tools in Onyx. Also, run the Apple Hardware Test from your OS X CD to verify that there are no hardware problems.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

 
Alexis's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 20, 2006
Posts: 2,255
Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Alexis is offline
Safari 3 beta causes MSN crashes.
QUOTE Thanks
opticalcortex

 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2007
Posts: 4
opticalcortex is on a distinguished road

opticalcortex is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Remove ClamXAV first and see if there is any difference. Since there are no known viruses for the Mac, Mac anti-virus products use heuristics which monitor and intervene in certain functions of the OS. It is more likely this would cause a problem than another program that doesn't run constantly."
ClamXAV was un-installed pre these problems, I wonder if in the uninstall it took something out that sent everything wobbly.

I will run the other suggested options and see where that gets me.

Thanks

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
opticalcortex

 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2007
Posts: 4
opticalcortex is on a distinguished road

opticalcortex is offline
Bad form replying to one's own post, but... it may just have worked. My save/quit problem appears to have stopped, and messenger is not quitting when I close a convo. window.

Thanks to cwa107 for suggesting the OynX stuff, it appears to have worked. Will still run the hardware check for damage when I get home to make sure all is tickety-boo there.


Cheers!

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
opticalcortex

 
Member Since: Jun 18, 2007
Posts: 4
opticalcortex is on a distinguished road

opticalcortex is offline
So after all was well for about 24 hours, Word has started to play up again. Tried to save an untitled document for the first time, and it fell over. Rather than crashing like is did initially yesterday, it just froze, bouncing beach ball constantly, Word not responding in force quit window, and the message 'word is connecting to the printer' at the bottom of the page. It was doing this some of the time yesterday before it was resolved using Oynx. Oh and I am not connected to a printer at the moment, which is possibly why it is struggling to find one, but I am asking it to save not to print!

Keeps doing it after a restart, ran OynX again on cleaning/maintenance and it works again after the restart, but I suspect this is a temporary fix again.

Cheers

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,500
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalcortex View Post
So after all was well for about 24 hours, Word has started to play up again. Tried to save an untitled document for the first time, and it fell over. Rather than crashing like is did initially yesterday, it just froze, bouncing beach ball constantly, Word not responding in force quit window, and the message 'word is connecting to the printer' at the bottom of the page. It was doing this some of the time yesterday before it was resolved using Oynx. Oh and I am not connected to a printer at the moment, which is possibly why it is struggling to find one, but I am asking it to save not to print!

Keeps doing it after a restart, ran OynX again on cleaning/maintenance and it works again after the restart, but I suspect this is a temporary fix again.

Cheers

Nick
Connect a printer to it and see if the problem persists. Word is reliant on the printer driver to correctly format the document - even when you go to save it. If it's waiting to see if a printer that was once connected still is, it may just be failing over because the printer is unexpectedly disconnected.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« leopard | New Mac - wallpaper? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
freezing here - please help! pavinder Apple Desktops 0 01-14-2004 12:55 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?