New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Lost all "My Documents"?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brross

brross is on a distinguished road

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could help. I've lost all of the files that were saved in the "My Documents" folder and I don't really know how it's happened. The only things I have done which I think could have caused the problem is...

1) Updated the operating system to OSX 10.4 from an old one.

2) Changed the user name on the profile. (I changed it by going into Apple / system preferences / accounts / username )

I have been informed that the operating system update should not have affected it and i think I checked all my docs after that update so I'm pretty sure it's not that.

Also, I have been searching forums about "home folder" problems and most seem to tell you to open the hard drive and then open Users and the old profile will be in there. When I do it, it's not! It's just got the current one and one called shared?!

I've used the apple F search facility to try and locate the files but no joy. Can anyone help at all? I'm stuck and desperately need those files.

B
QUOTE Thanks
brross

In fact... I only changed the "Name" in the user account rather than the "Short name". Does this mean it shoudln't have made a difference?
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Bummer...hope someone can give you an answer soon because I would like to know now.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You changed the name of your user folder. Read this thread. It will help you solve it. NEVER change the name of your user account.

Oh .. No .. Oops..

All your info is still there, just in another folder.
QUOTE Thanks
brross

Does it make a difference that I've only changed the name field rather than the Short name field? I thought the link to the directory doesn't change unless you change the short name?

I've tried renaming the folder to what is was and it didn't work. Also, I've looked in Macintosh HD/Users to see if there was any other user profile but there's only the current one and a shared one so I can't really follow the advice of other posts?!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brross View Post
Does it make a difference that I've only changed the name field rather than the Short name field? I thought the link to the directory doesn't change unless you change the short name?

I've tried renaming the folder to what is was and it didn't work. Also, I've looked in Macintosh HD/Users to see if there was any other user profile but there's only the current one and a shared one so I can't really follow the advice of other posts?!
Is the Short Name and the name on the Folder next to Shared the same? Since you are using 10.4, use Spotlight The Blue circle with the Magnifying glass by the clock and try searching for your documents. When I first saw your original message I figured you did what everyone else does and changed the name on the folder itself. NEVER do that!!!
QUOTE Thanks
brross

Yes they are both the same.
QUOTE Thanks
brross

Sorry...no I didn't change the name on that part of the folder. I did it through the apple / system preferences / accounts and then changed the name field. It wouldn't let me change the short name field.

I'll try that spotlight then but I'm not on my mac at the moment unfortunately. Is it better for searching than the usal "apple F" search on the hard drive? Because I've trioed that and still no joy.
QUOTE Thanks
brross

Could it be anything to do with my firewall settings? I've recently changed the settings by turned the firewall on.....would this have any effect?

I just thinking of all changes I've made recently and whether or not it has caused the problem?!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

No, the firewall is for networking. Changing that will do nothing to your files on your machine. What OS did you upgrade from to 10.4?
QUOTE Thanks
brross

I'm not sure really but I know it was an old one. The only thing is...I'm sure I checked all the "my documents" files after the upgrade and they were all still there.
QUOTE Thanks
brross

Also...if this helps....the error I get when I click on the my docs folder says something like "unable to open as cannot locate alias". I'm not sure of the exact wording.
QUOTE Thanks
brross

The error message is ....The alias "My documents" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found.

Please help!!
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Have you run a Cmd/Apple-F or Spotlight search for a known name of a document, rather than for the Document folder itself?
QUOTE Thanks
brross

Yeah I've tried the Cmd/ Apple F search on some of the file names but it's not coming up with anything. I've not tried spotlight yet though....is this different?

I am beginning to think it may be down to my upgrade from OSX 10.4 to 10.4.9. Not sure what to do?!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« just wonderin... | Safari »