New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - First Mac OS X meltdown

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack is on a distinguished road

The weirdest thing just happened. I don't even know what. I tried to run Mail.. it wouldn't even run. Actually, it opened, then crashed immediately, then was stuck and I had to force quit. Also, a .doc file on my desktop which USUALLY looks like a NeoOffice doc looked..different. Like a mountain range(?????). I could hardly run anything properly. I opened the doc, NeoOffice ran but nothing ever showed up.. it basically froze up. I had to restart the system, because no matter how much I force quit Mail & NeoOffice and restarted, they wouldn't function properly. Oh, and spinning beach ball of death everywhere.

What...the...HECK?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Have you gone the fsck -fy route?
QUOTE Thanks
CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack is on a distinguished road

fsck came out OK. By the way, I don't think all that reboot is necessary, is it? Looks like fsck -fy is the same as doing "Verify Disk" in Disk Utility.

This must've just been a fluke. Very odd.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

hmm i wonder who decided to call it fsck -fy
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

fsck mean file system check. the options fy is f for force and y is yes to all questions asked.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
By the way, I don't think all that reboot is necessary, is it? Looks like fsck -fy is the same as doing "Verify Disk" in Disk Utility.
Verify Disk run from Disk Utility in the computer doesn't fix anything, and Repair Disk won't run if its on the boot disk. Running fsck is the same as running Repair Disk but without the DVD hassle if Verify says something's wrong.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
fsck mean file system check. the options fy is f for force and y is yes to all questions asked.
yes i know it has a meaning but still it was pretty stupid to go around calling it **** -fy.

Mail crashes on me ALOT. I think it has something to do with the HTTPMail plugin. It just gives me the spinning rainbow pinwheel of gay fun until I get bored and Force Quit it.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
yes i know it has a meaning but still it was pretty stupid to go around calling it **** -fy.
I suspect that was at least partially deliberate. Just for the humor value of being able to say, "Oh, fsck, the disk is corrupted!"
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stuck at blue startup screen | Problem with background and screen saver »