Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: The Terminal

  1. #1
    Fomer
    Guest
    The Terminal
    I would like to learn how to use the Terminal. I feel... "un-mac'ish" not knowing. Before making the switch months and months ago I knew Windows inside out. And is there any way I can "learn" the Terminal... maybe a website.Or is it of any use, really? I've been using OS X now for almost a year and I am ready to deepen my knowledge on the Terminal and more.

  2. #2

    witeshark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Miami FL
    Posts
    2,860
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    pwd shows current directory print working directory

    cd (directory) changes to the desired directory ls LS lower case lists what's in the current directory ls /tmp (or other) lists what's in that directory without leaving the current.

    top lists everything running.
    (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed >these are how crons are run in terminal

    here's more Remember to type exit when done in Terminal

  3. #3

    Strider's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2004
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    973
    Specs:
    15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
    LOL witeshark, please please please, try using punctuation marks in ur sentences. better still, press return to use a new line for every command ur explaining.

  4. #4

    cradom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2004
    Location
    Groves, Texas
    Posts
    4,619
    Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    Caution: don't use sudo or su until you DO learn about the terminal.
    It's not necessary to type exit unless you're logged in as someone else using su, just quit Terminal.

  5. #5

    witeshark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Miami FL
    Posts
    2,860
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    (ok Strider .. ) Also never be root or use sudo while on line

  6. #6

    Osiris22x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    475
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    pwd shows current directory print working directory cd (directory) changes to the desired directory ls LS lower case lists what's in the current directory ls /tmp (or other) lists what's in that directory without leaving the current. top lists everything running. (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed >these are how crons are run in terminal here's more Remember to type exit when done in Terminal
    I completely agree, witeshark's posts are generally so difficult to read that I just skip over them now. Some punctuation and proper capitalization would go a long ways. His "how to run crons" paste that he uses all the time just looks like gibberish to me.

  7. #7

    witeshark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Miami FL
    Posts
    2,860
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    I edited it now it's easier to read. Guess I'm just used to reading scripts

  8. #8

    Osiris22x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    475
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fomer
    I would like to learn how to use the Terminal. I feel... "un-mac'ish" not knowing. Before making the switch months and months ago I knew Windows inside out. And is there any way I can "learn" the Terminal... maybe a website.Or is it of any use, really? I've been using OS X now for almost a year and I am ready to deepen my knowledge on the Terminal and more.
    Don't feel bad. 95% of all Mac users don't know how to use Unix (which is all the Terminal is). Get yourself a nice Unix book, or look for Linux/Unix tutorials online.

    I could sit here and spew out commands at you but that isn't going to do you much good. You need to learn the file structure, and how Unix really works to get a good grasp on it.

    Run a Google search and you'll find all sorts of good online tutorials that should get you enough information to get you started.

  9. #9
    Orange
    Guest
    just SU and do a rm *

  10. #10

    witeshark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Miami FL
    Posts
    2,860
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    SU in Linux is SUDO in OS X, and rm is a very powerful delete command to be used very carefully!

  11. #11

    cradom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2004
    Location
    Groves, Texas
    Posts
    4,619
    Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    Actually su and sudo are two different things. Using su will log you in as root until you type exit. sudo only works for the command used after it.

    And everyone is right, be VERY carefull using rm!!!
    ( or mv for that matter)

  12. #12

    rman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    12,584
    Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    su is for switch user. This command is use to change to another user. Be it root or any other ID you have the pass word to.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

  13. #13

    witeshark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Miami FL
    Posts
    2,860
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Quote Originally Posted by cradom
    Actually su and sudo are two different things. Using su will log you in as root until you type exit. sudo only works for the command used after it.

    And everyone is right, be VERY carefull using rm!!!
    ( or mv for that matter)
    Ah, thanks for the clarification

  14. #14

    cradom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2004
    Location
    Groves, Texas
    Posts
    4,619
    Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    Quite true rman, i was just making a point.

  15. #15

    rman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    12,584
    Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by cradom
    Quite true rman, i was just making a point.
    Just trying help you make it clear.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Month in Terminal is in Russian - only in Terminal!
    By yoandrew in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 10:20 AM
  2. Terminal Help?
    By gts1117 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 10:25 AM
  3. Terminal Help
    By LMCLUMD in forum OS X - Development and Darwin
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 05:08 AM
  4. help!! terminal os 10.5.8
    By alcohol in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 01:35 PM
  5. using terminal
    By mayflyTR in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-22-2010, 06:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •