New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Oh .. No .. Oops..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xsx-

xsx- is on a distinguished road

Ooops. I think I deleted nearly everything. I change the name of my files (the folder) from ******* to *****. Now my files and settings are gone. Oh nooo. How can I get them back and what happened???

Thank you!!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

what was the folder that you changed the name of?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Well, apart from the obvious of change the name back to what it was - you really are not giving enough info to those that may be able to help.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
BIG D 04

BIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the roughBIG D 04 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsx- View Post
Ooops. I think I deleted nearly everything. I change the name of my files (the folder) from ******* to *****. Now my files and settings are gone. Oh nooo. How can I get them back and what happened???

Thank you!!
Just go back to the Users ( Macintosh HD/Users/) Folder and the all the Files are still there.

Btw I'm assuming you just changed the Name of your Home Folder, so then when you Mac booted upo next time, not finding the Orignal Folder it created one....giving you the sense that the Folder had been deleted.

Wild Guess but i reckon I got it right and if not, make sure to include more information next time.

Damien Healy
iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |
QUOTE Thanks
remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

Yeah, try to give a little more info.

I'll take a guess from what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsx- View Post
Ooops. I think I deleted nearly everything.

I change the name of my files (the folder) from ******* to *****. Now my files and settings are gone. Oh nooo. How can I get them back and what happened???

Thank you!!
I'm guessing you changed the name of your Home folder?

your Home folder = where you see the sub-folders Desktop, Documents, Library, Movies, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc.

It's located at HD > Users > [your user account name]

Is that the folder of which the name you changed??

If so, try to change it back.

Mac OS X might have created another one in the meantime to "replace" your old one, which has gone "missing."
In that case, you might have to delete the new one first, then rename your original one back to what it was called.

Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

You changed the name of your home folder. Just name it back to what it was then log out and back in again.

QUOTE Thanks
xsx-

xsx- is on a distinguished road

Yes, sorry, I am new to macs.

The home folder was what I renamed. All my files are in a folder named 'cody' which is what I changed the folder name to while the home folder I currently have is my original home folder name. I tried simply moving all the files from cody into that but it didn't work.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Recover from renaming your Home folder.

Read the entire article before doing anything else.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« conlficting keyboard shortcuts | How much space does a MAC OSX user use? »