New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How much space does a MAC OSX user use?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheStranger55

TheStranger55 is on a distinguished road

I'm a PC user who is getting a mac for the first time. I have tons of windows apps that I'm gonna install on the windows partition of my new mac book pro when it comes in. My hard drive will be 120 gigs. I also have an external hard drive in windows ntfs format.

So my question is how much space should I dedicate to my mac os x partition?

I'm new to mac so I don't really know about any mac programs to buy, so I don't know whether I'll really need to dedicate a lot of space to mac os x or not?

I'm gonna install cs3 (windows) painter (windows) and 4 or 5 games and Visual studio 2005 on the windows partition.

Right now I'm thinking about 80 gigs for windows and 40 gigs for mac os X. Is 40 gigs enough for the average mac os x user?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
sLux

sLux will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD

why do you want to buy a mac when you clearly only want to use windblows apps?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Excellent point, sLux! I personally really don't understand people buying a Mac to run mainly Windoze on it. Makes no sense to me at all. You should get a Dell TheStranger55, that would be best IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

What's an average Mac user into? The question has no answer, really.
QUOTE Thanks
digitalscrap

digitalscrap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD

Honestly, except for the few games you say you want to run, why not use something like Parallels or VMware Fusion to run your Windows applications like cs3, painter, and Visual Studio? It seems really strange to partition it with so much dedicated to Windows. You could use Boot Camp with say, a 20GB partition to take care of the games you want to play, and then do everything else in a VM so that way you wouldn't be limiting yourself so much. Give OSX a fair shot - you'll be surprised, I guarantee it. If you start looking at OSX apps, you will not want to use your Windows apps anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
sLux

digitalscrap that is a really good solution, the question is, does he want to just TRY out OS X, and then use windows for the rest? If so, go to ebay and buy a cheap iBook or iMac with os x on and try it out. It can be a real bummer if you buy the Macbook Pro and then wont use the OS X side really.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Maybe it's just the cool factor? I dunno, I don't understand this move at all...
QUOTE Thanks
sLux

Go buy a freaking Dell XPS, that would be better really.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I bought my Macs to run OSX. That is what a Mac was really designed to do. Bootcamp was brought out for the people who need a couple of Windows apps say at work but wanted OSX for the rest. If your primary use is Windows and Windows Apps, get a PC.
QUOTE Thanks
TheStranger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLux View Post
why do you want to buy a mac when you clearly only want to use windblows apps?
Well here are my reasons.

1) I'm a student and thus got a $200 student discount with a free ipod so it came down to $1999(Canadian) The only computer with similar specs as the macbook Pro was the asus G1, I believe and that costed ($2100) and no free IPod.

2) I'm a software developer and wanted to develop cross platform apps. So I want a mac to test my programs on the mac platform.

3) I like learning new things and hence I wouldn't mind trying out mac os X, but I wanted to keep my primary computing experience Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
digitalscrap

digitalscrap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD

I agree, why even get a Macbook Pro if Windows is still going to be your primary OS? I only use my VM when I absolutely have to for work, which is not that frequently, since I have a work Thinkpad (ugh) that I bring home most of the time. The only time I use ever use Boot Camp is to play an odd game here or there, and that's not very often at all. I have only have a 10GB partition dedicated for Boot Camp. That's it.

Hopefully he will see the light once (if) he gets the Mac.

EDIT: TheStranger55, you posted while I was typing my response. It still seems like a strange way to go considering that you have two great solutions in VMware Fusion and Parallels. Rebooting is going to get to be very annoying. You could run Visual Studio while you are in OSX, and with features like VMware's unity and Parallels Coherence, you won't even need to reboot to test your programs on the mac platform.
QUOTE Thanks
TheStranger55

Well I'm a new Mac user. So maybe over time I will use mac OS X as my primary OS.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Just for a free iPod? That is a bogus reason that will make you hate your Mac. No, really go with a Winbox/Asus. It will be better I think. You never know, you can scrape up the $ for an iPod later and be happy with your computer at the same time.
QUOTE Thanks
sLux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger55 View Post
Well I'm a new Mac user. So maybe over time I will use mac OS X as my primary OS.
Then limit yourself, force yourself to use OS X, 80 GB Mac, 40 GB Winblows
QUOTE Thanks
TheStranger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Just for a free iPod? That is a bogus reason that will make you hate your Mac. No, really go with a Winbox. It will be better I think.
Alright here is my main reason again.

I bought my mac book pro from the education store where I get a $200 discount so it only costs $1999 (Canadian) for me with the free IPod.

Now here is a PC with the similar specs

http://www.anitec.ca/product/9030/as..._*santa_rosa*/

As you can see the only difference is the video card is 256 MB instead of 128 MB and the hard drive is 40 gigs more. But I don't need a huge hd cause I got a 250 gb external.

But it is $2199 (Canadian) and no free IPod.

So to me the macbook pro made more economic sense.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Oh .. No .. Oops.. | Cannot open certain applications, very frustrating. »