New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Start Up Issue; Gray Screen with ? on folder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EarlsMac

EarlsMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro/MacBook Pro

I am new to a Mac Pro also and I purchased a used Mac Pro (fully loaded) from a 3rd party. It works great, but when I power it up in the Gray screen mode, it seems to take a while and occasionally I receive a ? mark with a folder symbol blinking. I turn the computer off and it usually boots up fine. Occasionally I have to do this process twice.

Is this something I need to worry about? What should I do to fix. I have build Windows machines and am fairly knowledgeably, but new to the Mac environment.

Thanks,

Earl
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Open up System Preferences, Startup Disk, click on the main boot drive and click Reboot. It sounds like it's looking for some other drive that was once used to boot the system.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, EarlsMac.

The question mark at startup means the system has a hard time finding a viable OS to boot from.

Doh! dtravis beat me to it... I'll get you for this one day, pardner!

LOL Kiddin'

dtravis, the fastest keyboard in the East/West/world.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

If that doesn't work, try a PRAM reset. I've seen this delay occur after removing a Bootcamp partition. You can reset the PRAM by pressing and holding Command-Option-P-R immediately after powering the system on. Wait for the system chime to occur three times before releasing.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

MHC

Agreed with CWA. Try them both. One should solve it. My Intel Mini did that when I took out the bootcamp partition. In my case just the startup disk solved it. Seen the PRAM do it also.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Not a Hardware issue. Moved to Software OS forum.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
EarlsMac

EarlsMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro/MacBook Pro

Thanks for the help. I will give both a try

Earl
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quick mouse speed adjuster | [HELP] Can't delete a folder »