New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Kernel, python issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Porphyro

Porphyro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Intel 2.0Ghz 17"

For the past week my processor has been running at 100% almost nonstop. Activity Monitor tells me that python and kernel_task are using anywhere from 39-42% (each) of the processor queue at any time. This just started happening without any major change in my habits, software, etc - is this normal? Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

iMac G5 iSight
OS X 10.4.9
PowerPC 970 1.9 Ghz
QUOTE Thanks
Porphyro

OK, I figured out one thing - this only seems to happen when Mail is downloading a new voicemail from Vonage.

In addition, I've found that my option-cmd-j shortcut doesn't work for erasing junk mail, nor does the menu command. I have to delete each message.

So it looks as though Mail might be the problem. Is there a way to reinstall Mail, or update the installation?
QUOTE Thanks
Brendan

Brendan is a jewel in the roughBrendan is a jewel in the rough

You could uninstall Mail and then reinstall it using your OS X disc and Pacifist.

Brendan Welsh
Aluminum Macbook Owner
QUOTE Thanks
Porphyro

I was just about to do that when I noticed that ALL my mail messages were all taking a little longer than usual to download and route. I remembered that I have JunkMatcher installed and that it does its business with Python. I uninstalled it, and all seems to be well now.

So if you have JunkMatcher and your processor starts to spend a lot of its time running Python, try disabling the JunkMatcher rules in Mail. If that doesn't work, uninstall JunkMatcher. No need to reinstall Mail.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Console Errors | blank DVD-R not showing on desktop »