New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Panther start-up is annoying - how to maintain consistency?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Everytime I start-up in Panther, the bluetooth button in the apple toolbar on top of the screen is missing. I always goto the prefs and set it as "show in toolbar", but everytime i switch on, its missing. And to make matters worse, its always "ON" when the PB starts up. i DONT want it On, I want it off, and to be displayed on the toolbar. I set it everytime but it never works. This is pi$sing me off. :mad:

How ironic - this time around, NONE of the icons came up, BT, Airport, Time, Keyboard Layout, Display Res, and a couple more. None have come up, its just one icon there, which is the Norton AutoProtect.

Anyone got a clue why this is happening? It is really annoying, I hate setting preferences everytime I start my computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

I'm guessing you probably have FileVault turned on, and that is why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider
Everytime I start-up in Panther, the bluetooth button in the apple toolbar on top of the screen is missing. I always goto the prefs and set it as "show in toolbar", but everytime i switch on, its missing. And to make matters worse, its always "ON" when the PB starts up. i DONT want it On, I want it off, and to be displayed on the toolbar. I set it everytime but it never works. This is pi$sing me off. :mad:

How ironic - this time around, NONE of the icons came up, BT, Airport, Time, Keyboard Layout, Display Res, and a couple more. None have come up, its just one icon there, which is the Norton AutoProtect.

Anyone got a clue why this is happening? It is really annoying, I hate setting preferences everytime I start my computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
I'm guessing you probably have FileVault turned on, and that is why.
Yes thats true. But how does that concern this issue? Please explain.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Any chance you can just sleep the system in the off intervals? It's kinda how Unix/OS X is designed to run
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider
Yes thats true. But how does that concern this issue? Please explain.
Why it does it I don't know but FileVault was screwing up all of my preferences and everything when I first switched to panther....When I disabled FileVault it was all fine.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

How weird. I have used filevault on both my users and have had no worries at all
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

I have a feeling theres just a currupt file somewhere on your OS... it shouldn't be hard to fix, it may even work itself out. Because when your restarting your computer something isn't being saved. Could even be hardware related. I usta have a problem similar to that, but it just worked itself out in a OS update.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Graphite,

No, he's simply using Filevault and that's what's wrong. Filevault has a million glitches in it, one of which is that none of your preferences get saved upon reboot. Turn off Filevault and everything should be fine.

Strider: Try it just to humor me, and tell us if that fixes it.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

lol relax, were all trying to find the answer. My comment is perfectly correct relative to any solution.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

I have had no preferences lost with file vault on, so that affect must be variable
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

witeshark,

Yeah, it depends on when you enable Filevault (before or after the preference is set). Just consider yourself lucky.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

I just don't use filevault...my solution....it seems to be the one os x part that needs a whole lot of work...from what I've heard....it's just not forth using....

I mean jeez...I'm 20, and am going to college..why the heck do I need that much security?....nobody uses my computer but me....and if someone else does...it would be my roommates, usually with permission, and they have no intentioins on currupting my files....and/or don't know enough about computers to know what files would be "worth" anything..
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

I hope I will not don't lose out any files/preferences upon turning off filevault..?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I recommend a software often, I think it may be useful here on the corrupt preference idea, though its probably filevault causing the problems, get an app called preferencial treatment at versiontracker.com, it checks user and sytem prefs for corrupt files.
I hear bad things about filevault so often, I think maybe apple should release it separately, so those needing that much security can have it, and those that dont dont have it to mess anything up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Removing MySQL from Panther 3.6 | Keyboard layout »