New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Thinking Of Running Windows....Kinda

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

I want to play some games that are windows only, but dont really want to install windows on my mac (I want to save HD space and such).

I stumbled upon this app called Wine.

Can anyone tell me about it?

OK kinda looks like Linux only lol But anyone hear of it anyway?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Never got it to play any of the windows games I wanted under Linux.

You could try Codeweavers Crossover Mac.

Check their compatibilty list. You can also try it for free to make sure it will work with the windows games you are wanting. Had it on my Mac for awhile and it worked for the only two games I tried.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

Thats a pretty cool app. It was exactly what I was looking for. I ran it and it installed my program but refused to run it. Seems like the best way is to go legit and run windows itself, which I will not be doing. Thanks a ton though for finding that app!
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I have had the same sort of feeling as you XMARLTONX. I want to go back to playing Counter-Strike sometimes when I have absolutely nothing to do, but I don't want to sacrifice HD space (I even have less than you do!). I really need an external HD that way I can install Windows and not have to worry about stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

Yeah, I actually have a 60 gb external plus my 80gb=140 so we have the same thing. I just dont want there to be any form of windows on my mac lol. Can I put it on an external?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMARLTONX View Post
Yeah, I actually have a 60 gb external plus my 80gb=140 so we have the same thing. I just dont want there to be any form of windows on my mac lol. Can I put it on an external?
Neither Boot Camp nor Parallels let you install it to an external.

Felt, the same as ya'll. Didn't want to sully my MBP by putting windows on it and I actually like XP. Bought my external a couple of weeks ago and so picked up an OEM copy of XP Pro while I was at it. It sat unopened for a week and a half while I debated with myself about whether to install it or not. Finally decided I enjoy sitting in the recliner in the LR with my MBP more than I enjoy the 26" screen my XP machine is attached to and having to go to the opposite side of the house to use it.

If you're wanting to install it for only that occasional game, 10GB would probably suffice, barely. Used 20GB for my install. XP, the 80+ updates, AVG, Spybot, Foxit Reader for pdf's, Opera (my personal favorite browser), DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, RipIt4Me - all took less than 5GB.

QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

If your really wanting to run pc games on your mac about your only real choice is to run bootcamp. All the other emulators and virtural programs usually do not support pc 3D games. I understand that version 3 of Parallels might do it, but it isn't out yet so can't say for sure, but both Bootcamp and Parallels require an actual copy of Winders.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Neither Boot Camp nor Parallels let you install it to an external.
That's not entirely true. You CAN place your Parallels images on an external hard drive. Granted, the program itself has to reside on your main drive, but the larger files don't have to.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
That's not entirely true. You CAN place your Parallels images on an external hard drive. Granted, the program itself has to reside on your main drive, but the larger files don't have to.
So, the Parallels installation has to be on your internal (or your boot disk), but it will let you install XP onto an external (or separate) drive?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Font Installation Fails | Update? »