New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Font Installation Fails

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikezzz

mikezzz is on a distinguished road

I cannot install certain fonts, including Algerian and Alfredo's Dancer. Error message: "Problems may have been found with some fonts during installation. Serious problems were found. Do not use this font." OS X 10.4.8. Any ideas, please? Thx much.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Corrupt file?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

run them through font book, there is a validate font function. It'll tell you if your font is corrupt.
QUOTE Thanks
mikezzz

mikezzz is on a distinguished road

Actually, Font Book is the application that made the complaint. I think this is probably a Mac bug: both font files work fine under Windows.

Now I'm wondering how to print a list of the fonts installed on my machine so I can let my collaborators know what fonts they can't use in documents I have to work with. Can't seem to find a way to do that, either.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Are they OpenType or TrueType fonts?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

The fonts may have been corrupted in the Windows box if you had transferred them from one.

This article has some information on font problems, with a link at the bottom to font fixers. Unfortunately, all of them in the list cost money.

This will allow you to print the fonts, but it's 12 bucks. There are others, and some might be free. Go to versiontracker.com or macupdate.com and search for fonts print.

But you might be able to work around the problem by opening Font Book and clicking on one of the fonts. Then in the menu bar go to File>Show Font File. When the window opens, change it to "as List" under View in the menu bar, then Hide Toobar. Take a Shift-Command-4-spacebar screenshot of the list, or crop even more out of the picture by using Shift-Command-4 and the mouse, without the spacebar. You could then print the picture listing the fonts.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Hi mikezzz!

Another thing to consider is, if you have a lot of fonts, you might want to use a program that is sturdier than Font Book to juggle all those fonts around and keep them in check.

At school, we use Suitcase but for home use, it's pretty costly.

FontExplorer X is free: it's a bit wonky at times (it enables fonts on its own sometimes!) but it doesn't cost much and it does what it's supposed to.

Both of those programs will look out for corrupted fonts and duplicates which could cause problems as well.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Another vote for Extensis Suitcase
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yeah if I could afford Suitcase I would go with that instead of FontExplorer X.

You have to keep an eye on Linotype's freebie: one time I hadn't looked closely at the enabled fonts for maybe a month or so and one day I did check and I did a double-take! It had enabled about 150 fonts on its own?!? Like, wow!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Exchange 2003 connection issues | Thinking Of Running Windows....Kinda »