New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Problems with opening PKG files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rg150990hde

rg150990hde is on a distinguished road

I can't open pkg files. My installer just says default. And I read somewhere you could insert the Mac OS X install disc and the choose archive and install - but it isn't there when I insert the disc!! Please help me!!
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

If you want to open package files on the install disk to install any apps, download the free Pacifist from version.com or macupdate.com, among other sites.

You need to use Pacifist because it installs all the app files to the proper places on the Mac.

To open packages on your Mac, right-click the file and choose Show Package Contents.

My install disk might be different from yours because mine is going on five years old. After clicking the arrow at the bottom right one screen past the licensing info, there's an Options button at the bottom that when clicked shows the Archive and Install option.

You have to put the DVD in the machine, then restart it while holding down the C key, so it will will start up from the DVD.

(You have to hold down C rather than D because Apple's installers were on CDs before DVDs came along.)
QUOTE Thanks
rg150990hde

When I try to open the package it just says pacifist default. Have I not installed the pacifist right?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all

This is a graphic of how to install applications that are downloaded as .dmg files. It's an old Firefox install, but Pacifist would work the same way.

When it's installed, you can drag the files still on the desktop to the trash, where one will "eject," as if it's a drive.
QUOTE Thanks
rg150990hde

ok thanks! Then I have installed it right. But it stills says default.
QUOTE Thanks
rg150990hde

Okay now I have opened the package but I can't find options. The window which appears contains to "headlines" - Package Contents and Resources. Is this wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

"Options" doesn't apply when using Pacifist, only when doing an Archive and Install.

It's been a while since I used Pacifist, but there might be a search function to find the app you're looking for. If not, you'll have to open each package to see if it's the one you need. But it wouldn't be too difficult, because, for example, you wouldn't look in Printers if you're attemping to reload Portuguese.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows My Pictures features in OS X? | Problem restarting »