New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Mac Slows to a Crawl after about a week - Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sbatson

sbatson is on a distinguished road

I have an Intel Based 20" iMac I got right after they were release in Jan 2006.

At first, it would often run without issue or crashes until a new software update from Apple would come out requiring a reboot. Now it seems that not matter what I do, after about a week (give or take a day or so) it will get REALLY SLOW when I wake it up from sleep mode and the only way to correct the problem is a reboot. Other than this, the system is rock solid and runs great!

Any ideas on what the cause or causes could be?

Any ideas on how to correct it?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

The reboot flushes out the system's cache so I would think it's a full-up-to-the-gills cache problem.

At the beginning it probably wasn't a problem since the system wasn't running full tilt with plenty of new apps installed, is what I think.
QUOTE Thanks
sbatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
The reboot flushes out the system's cache so I would think it's a full-up-to-the-gills cache problem.

At the beginning it probably wasn't a problem since the system wasn't running full tilt with plenty of new apps installed, is what I think.
I can't argue with your idea, but having been a long time windows user and all the problems that one can experience there, I never heard anything about problems like this before. If this is the case, it's basically suggesting that Mac OS isn't able to clean-up or flush it's own cache very well. That's a bit of a surprise to me.

Any idea on how to prevent / clear the problem easily without reboots?
QUOTE Thanks
louiscy1

louiscy1 is on a distinguished road

os X is doing an very well optimize daily,weekly and monthly by default at 3 o clock i the morning...now if you install a lot of things on one day or you did something very heavy and you want to flush your cache manually my personal favorite is spring cleaning but there other freeware apps like onyx,maintenance etc that you can perform a maintenance...give it a shot
QUOTE Thanks
sbatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiscy1 View Post
os X is doing an very well optimize daily,weekly and monthly by default at 3 o clock i the morning...now if you install a lot of things on one day or you did something very heavy and you want to flush your cache manually my personal favorite is spring cleaning but there other freeware apps like onyx,maintenance etc that you can perform a maintenance...give it a shot
I guess I'm just surprised that OS X isn't doing this stuff on it's own or giving you options to do it after exiting any type of application or other operation that is intensive in use of the cache.

I'll look into the software.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I find that upon restart certain apps discard their cache and temp files and I discover them in my trash in a folder called Recovered files. Now that to me is sloppy programming. But Apple too is guilty of this, as I will find iChat stuff in there once in a while when I have exchanged a file while in chat with friends. It's all built-in the OS, the least the programmers could do is use the feature.

As for the maintenance scripts, they are built-in too, the user must leave his computer on (not in sleep mode) between 3 and 5 a.m. and the scripts will run by themselves. I, by choice, do not let my Mac on 24 hours a day but others do.
QUOTE Thanks
alaceo

alaceo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM

sbatson - Keep an eye on your memory usage. If it is progressively increasing day to day, you may have a program running with a memory leak and its eating all your RAM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to (GULP!) format and reinstall OSX? | How to put security on my laptop in case it's stolen? »