New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Question about sound quality

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Running 10.4.9 and notice when using iChat, iTunes or any other Apple app the sound is barely discernible. When using any other non-Apple app the sound is much better. Cannot figure out why there would be sound if it is not high enough to be heard in the first place??
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

What are you saying...
There is no sound, or that the quality is poor? And only at low volumes?

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
core20

core20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo

check the sound preferences in the system preferences menu. Try using a cd and seeing if sound is present and at what quality, then you can relate that to the sound from itunes. It may be the speakers, but can't know for sure yet.

-
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
What are you saying...
There is no sound, or that the quality is poor? And only at low volumes?
No I have great sound - but not if I use an Apple application such as iTunes, iChat, etc. When I use those the sound is so low as to be barely discernable. For example: if I use Adium the sound is great - if I switch to iChat the sound is barely able to be heard. Why the extremes?
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |

It's a long shot but, if Sound Check is checked under iTunes > Preferences > Playback, I'd uncheck it and see if that makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Hm, very odd behavior.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKitten View Post
It's a long shot but, if Sound Check is checked under iTunes > Preferences > Playback, I'd uncheck it and see if that makes a difference.
Nope - unchecked.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Had the same thing - ex. CD volume: very reasonable; iTunes volume: very quiet; both with the volume set at maximum

My issue was resolved by finally discovering iTunes has it's own separate volume control; right at the top; of the screen , was disillusioned for a couple of months, just assumed it was no different than the master volume similar to programs in windows - pushed it up to max and voila, volume now equal for both. You can move this around with no effect on the master volume.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Papa, yesterday I looked to see if there wouldn't be a pref file that takes care of the audio for all Apple apps and couldn't find anything in my pref folder. So this one has me stumped!
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Papa, yesterday I looked to see if there wouldn't be a pref file that takes care of the audio for all Apple apps and couldn't find anything in my pref folder. So this one has me stumped!
odd part is - it is not just iTunes (I had previously discovered the separate sound control in iTunes) but also affects iChat, etc. Seems to only affect apple apps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« isight not being detected by ustream? | Total System Maintenance »