New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - install Mac pro OS X on my Macbook pro will it work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XDIPLOMATICX

XDIPLOMATICX is on a distinguished road

well im a newbie first mac ever. i got my macbook pro used and it came with XP on it only. i was woundering if i could use the mac pro disc to reinstall the OS X on it.

sorry this probably is a dumb question but im not for sure myself if its possible or if it will work.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Nope.
1. Violates the EULA.
2. Discs are system specific

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

I don't understand your question... your title talks about 10.5 which hasn't been released yet. You say that your MBP came with XP only and you ask if you can use the MBP install disk to reinstall 10.4. If that is correct, then yes you can. I can't see what the EULA violation is? Install disks are machine specific, but if you got the install disks for the MBP when you bought it, you should be good to go. Or did I miss something?
QUOTE Thanks
XDIPLOMATICX

dang that sucks i just paid 60 bucks for one off of ebay thats the only place i could find one and theres no apple store near me.

heres the link to the item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5158&rd=1&rd=1
QUOTE Thanks
XDIPLOMATICX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
I don't understand your question... your title talks about 10.5 which hasn't been released yet. You say that your MBP came with XP only and you ask if you can use the MBP install disk to reinstall 10.4. If that is correct, then yes you can. I can't see what the EULA violation is? Install disks are machine specific, but if you got the install disks for the MBP when you bought it, you should be good to go. Or did I miss something?

im sorry about the mistake its not 10.5 its 10.4 sorry um no i dont have the original install discs for them ive got a problem and i have no idea what im doing.
i need to find a apple store somewhere. would they say anything if i took it in there with XP loaded on MBP
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Still don't get it. Those disks are described as correct for the MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
XDIPLOMATICX

well one other question are Mac pro discs the same as Macbook pros? just woundering.
QUOTE Thanks
XDIPLOMATICX

Quote:
Still don't get it. Those disks are described as correct for the MBP.
ok sorry im probably confusing you. if there describe specifically for macbook pro then im fine. thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

If the ebay listing is correct, the disks are for the MacBook Pro and you are good to go. The other possibility is installation disks for the Mac Pro which is the desktop tower. Those will not work on your MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
XDIPLOMATICX

Quote:
If the ebay listing is correct, the disks are for the MacBook Pro and you are good to go. The other possibility is installation disks for the Mac Pro which is the desktop tower. Those will not work on your MBP.
Yea thats the thing that i was curious about because the listing says that its for MBP and it also says that its for Mac pro at the time of purchase i didnt have any idea that the OS X was system specific. im thinkin that its for the mac pro because it comes with the mac pro mighty mouse but that just could be something that they added in.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

You've been sold a dud.

They are for the MAC PRO, not the MAC BOOK PRO.

Notice how they say Mac Pro on the manual and they are in a black box.

I'd try and get a refund personally.

Bad luck.
QUOTE Thanks
XDIPLOMATICX

dang that sucks im gana try to get a refund. does anybody have a macbook pro install disk that i could buy off of them? im in need of one bad i need to get this window XP off of here asap. im having bad luck with this mac already im thinkin about selling it. lmao lol anybody want it for $1400 foreal.
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

surely if you have Windows on it then you must have Bootcamp installed, have you tried holding the OPTION key down whilst switching it on.
It maybe that the StartUp option in BootCamp is set to Windows.

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
XDIPLOMATICX

Quote:
Originally Posted by symondavis View Post
surely if you have Windows on it then you must have Bootcamp installed, have you tried holding the OPTION key down whilst switching it on.
It maybe that the StartUp option in BootCamp is set to Windows.

Are you talkin about holding down the option(alt) key when it starts up. yes ive tried it it only has the windows XP partition nothing else ill post a picture for you so you can see what i have.
QUOTE Thanks
XDIPLOMATICX

here are some pics im not for sure if it has bootcamp or not it may though somebody tell me if the pics help. Sorry these pics were taken on my camera phone.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« random freezing. and wont restart | Which OS am I running »