New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Wait for Leopard?


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Stang68

 
Stang68's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 30, 2007
Posts: 11
Stang68 is on a distinguished road

Stang68 is offline
Hey guys,

I am a college student and am in the market for a Mac Book Pro. I just got back from the Apple store and had all my questions answered. I found out about Leopard (at least more than what I knew) and that it is coming out in October. My dilemma is, should i wait for it to be installed already on the Pro and get the whole laptop in October, or should I just get the laptop in June and then wait to see how Leopard is and buy it at a student discount price and install it myself? My dad and I are kind of butting heads on this subject. He says to wait and i say i can get it now and install it later. He thinks it wont work as well if i buy just leopard in octorber and the pro now. I'm impatient, i know, but i have the money now and Tiger works amazingly well. The Pro's are ready for 64-bit, so if i install Leopard seperately in october, i shouldnt have any problems, right?

PS: I DO plan on waiting for WWDC on June 11th bc hopefully the new MBP will be out!

Please, give me your opinions, guys.

Thanks a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

 
Brown Study's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 11, 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,964
Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Brown Study is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang68 View Post
My dad . . . thinks it wont work as well if i buy just leopard in octorber and the pro now.
Sure, it will. Your dad might be recalling problems he had with Windows installs, but the Mac OS is vastly different. You can't translate Windows' problems to the Mac any more than you can translate a DC-3's propeller problems to a 747.

Waiting for Steve Jobs' speech is a good idea, in case he announces any MacBook Pro updates.

If you're new to the Mac, buying it in June would be best. That way, it will be second nature by the start of the school year. If you wait, you'll be busy enough without having to unlearn Windows, as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Stang68

 
Stang68's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 30, 2007
Posts: 11
Stang68 is on a distinguished road

Stang68 is offline
Wow...those are all great points. I'll be sure to bring those up haha thanks a lot.
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

 
flilow06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 20, 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 255
flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

flilow06 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang68 View Post
Wow...those are all great points. I'll be sure to bring those up haha thanks a lot.
To piggyback on what Brown already said. One of the greatest things I've found about Macs is that even machines that are four or five years old can still run the latest OS. Try installing Vista onto a Pentium III with 256mb of ram...

The MBP's that will be released in June (huge assumption, but I think we're all fairly certain at this point) will run Leopard equally well as the ones that are released with Leopard. In fact, I think those MBP's will still be the same models. I don't think we'll see any new updates to the MBP's hardware-wise until December probably (again an assumption).

On the other hand, there are a couple great reasons to get a MBP in June instead of October. First, as already stated it gives you time to get acclimated to OSX and error for mistakes since you can do a fresh install of Leopard when it comes out. Second, all new OS's have bugs. Buying a comp with Tiger which is basically bug-free gives you a chance to wait and see how Leopard performs when it comes out... all for the low price of around $129 for an upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Docking bar | Wiping Clean old Power Book »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
should i wait.... bigmof Switcher Hangout 1 03-26-2007 07:14 PM
Buy now or wait for 10.5 Redleg91 Switcher Hangout 6 02-07-2007 10:19 PM
MacBook Pro - To wait or not to wait? Spicky Apple Notebooks 29 05-15-2006 12:29 AM
Should I wait untill intel chips hit to switch? Abrodzinski Apple Desktops 9 02-01-2006 07:15 AM
To wait or not to wait Everett Apple Notebooks 4 12-26-2005 12:15 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?