New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - spotlight not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

setanta5

setanta5 is on a distinguished road

As it says in the title, spotlight in my menu bar returns no results. I'm running OSX 10.4.9 and all is up to date on my machine, ( a 2.33 15" MBP) but when i type anything, even document names exactly as they are recorded, into the spotlight, nothing happens. Its frustrating as i had changed from windows and fell in love with spotlight searching as it used to nearly have the result i wanted before i had finished typing.

Incidentally if i open finder and type into the spotlight section on the finder window, it works exactly how i would expect it to. Can anyone help me with this?
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

These helped me in the past, it's time to share:

Spotlight won’t work? Fix a broken Spotlight menu with these troubleshooting tips

Tutorial: Troubleshooting Spotlight
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Spotlight's index might have gone south. Try this. Onyx can make it rebuild its index, too.

Edit: Sorry, Pulse-8. You beat me to it, again.
QUOTE Thanks
setanta5

setanta5 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that....quitting SystemUIServer solved the problem...but will i have to do this every time i start my machine?

What does SystemUIServer do?
QUOTE Thanks
Sat

Sat is an unknown at this point

If Spotlight or Mail (full text search) refuses to return search results:

enable display of invisible files using TinkerTool
click on the icon of your hard drive that does not respond to Spotlight searches
Remove .metadata_never_index from the top level of the disk directory if present
Remove the .Spotlight-V100 folder from the top level of the disk directory
Copy an empty folder named .Spotlight-V100 to the top level of the disk directory
disable display of invisible files using TinkerTool
Restart

This will initiate indexing after and a new spotlight database will be created
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Leopard hangs on grey screen when usb hard drive attached | Flash issue fault of Snow Leopard? »