New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - End/Home keys - how to make them act like Windows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maclambo

maclambo is on a distinguished road

So i'm a newbie to MACs. I had an iMac given to me as a gift. Thus far it's been everything I expected it to be - all except for the End key. I'm expecting Home/End to go to the begnning/end of the current line when editing something. While I realize that the behavior of going to the beginning/end of a document is the way it's supposed to work (and that there are other workarounds), that simply won't fly in my case.. something about "can't teach an old dog new tricks.."

In all seriousness, this Mac will either be useless or painful unless I can somehow "re-bind" these keys and make them perform as they would on a PC. Any ideas? Are there commercial programs to do this? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

To go to the beginning / end of current line press: Command OR Control + forward/backward arrow

To go to the beginning / end of current word press: Option + forward/backward arrow
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

System Prefs > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard shortcuts > You can add your own shortcuts so may be worth a try.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

It's a small trick to learn. The Mac is not Windows, so don't expect it to be. If something as small as this is a big problem for you, then other things may drive you nuts in the long run.

QUOTE Thanks
remain

remain is a jewel in the roughremain is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz

This thread has a link to a page that explains a way to make Home and End act like they do on Windows.

However, I would suggest simply getting used to Cmd <-- and Cmd -->

I'm a user of both Mac OS X and Windows, but I used Windows for about 6-7 years before ever using OS X.
When I first used OS X, evidently, it was a bit hard to get used to Cmd <-- and Cmd --> instead of Home and End.

But after maybe a week, I got used to it.

I mean, it's a different OS.
You gotta expect some stuff to be different and you gotta get used to new things.
(Heck, even the main modifier key is different: Ctrl on Windows vs Cmd on OS X)

I agree with what baggss said: "If something as small as this is a big problem for you, then other things may drive you nuts in the long run."

Well, you can try that 'hack' if you want to take the easy way,
but I don't know if there are any 'side effects.'
Do it if you really want to, but it's at your peril.

Cog 0.07 audio player - cogx.org
AAC, AIFF, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MPC, OGG, SHN, WAV, WV, tracker formats,
VG music formats, cue sheets, M3U & PLS, Growl, Last.fm, Apple Remote
Latest Nightly Build (0.08) (new interface!) - Got ideas? Report bugs?
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

I use Windows and Mac regularly and I've found I can switch between them fairly easily, although it does take a bit of time to get used to.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

In addition to the command-left and command-right, up-arrow (without the command key) takes you to the beginning of a one-line text field, and down-arrow takes you to the end of a one-line text field. Extremely useful in, for example, a browser location bar.

The logic is, "Up-arrow goes up a line, but if there isn't a line above the current one, go as close as possible, which is the beginning of this line."
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

i was looking for this a while back too. Since learning OSX, i like the way its set up better now.

apple key is second nature to me now

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
AnthonyJK

AnthonyJK will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclambo View Post
In all seriousness, this Mac will either be useless or painful unless I can somehow "re-bind" these keys and make them perform as they would on a PC. Any ideas? Are there commercial programs to do this? Thanks!
Get a PC.
QUOTE Thanks
firoz

firoz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Mac Book, 2 Ghz

the only problem i have is some of the safari shortcuts. i'm scouring the forum/net tonight to see how to change the tab changing commands.

command is just like alt. if it worked in windows with an alt button, try using command instead. i used apple for years 3-4 years ago, then i had to get a pc for work and now i've com back to mac and i love my mac soooo much. stability goes a long way

my only gripe is internet surfing, but thats only because i havent fine tuned my safari/camino with other software to get my up and surfing super fast again.

but yeah, if command and arrow are too much trouble, i'd go back to pc
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« UK people, any problems showing AM/PM? | iMac won't load operating system »