New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - install Mac OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rapanui

rapanui is on a distinguished road

i have an error on my imac when it starts, so i need to reinstall the OS

but the imac doesn't start from the CD even when i press C at the beginning

what else can i try to reinstall the OS?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

What iMac do you need to fix and what CD's are you using?
If you are not using the correct CD's for the model iMac they were designed for, they will not work. They will not work if they are to a different model all together. If they are a downloaded copy, I haven't heard of one that's worked properly.
If you are using a full stand alone copy of OSX, it should work.
Try inserting the CD into the computer while its on. Shut it off and restart but hold the option button. It should bring up the boot menu where you can choose the CD or HD (choose the CD) and hit the right arrow button.
It should restart using the CD. If this fails, I will have to say you're CD is bad.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
rapanui

rapanui is on a distinguished road

hello,thanks for answering. i'm fixing this computer for a friend. he has no computer skills or whatsoever.

i'm a network administrator but based on Windows.
i've done some stuff with mac and basically it's a computer as any windows based one.

i tried the Option button and it does nothing. how can i know which kind of mac computer is it so i might know if this CD's will work? i know the CD's are mac os X. they're 3 CD's.another friend made this copy for me.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Huge Anti-Ad HOSTS File slows down OSX | Missing gigs on my imac? »